Brisket cooking too fast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nanalinda

Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
I've had a 7 lb brisket in my Masterbuilt electric smoker for almost 3 hours  at 220 degrees and it is already at 156 degrees.  Isn't this way too fast?  I thought it would have to cook for hours yet.  I'm not a very experienced smoker.  It looks fine but not nearly cooked by appearance.  I checked my thermometer.  :(  Can anybody help?  $35 brisket!

Afternoon , nana. Don't panic...it may stall yet. And remember temp is only a signpost on the road to tender brisket....no matter when it happens , when the temp gets close you have to start probing the meat for tender.....so keep watching the temp by all means , but just accept that it's done when the probe slides in like buttah!

And I will hasten to add that I am no expert brisket maker , but I just wanted to reassure you with what I think I know....others may chime in more knowledgable than I.....good luck

Nana
Are you getting your temp reading from the masterbuilt readout? Those things are notorious for being way off so be careful. Also, like hambone says.....you'll be stalling out any time now and then you'll be panicking about why the temp stopped rising. Ain't smoking fun??

Hello nana .  Welcome.  I see this is your first post.  Please take some time and swing over to Roll Call and introduce yourself so that we may give you a proper "Hello".  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  As for your question:  Here is my opinion for what it is worth.  Others will have different advice.  This is only my opinion.  I have cooked brisket for years.  Unlike many here I do smoke mine hotter and faster.  Hambone has got ya covered.  Relax.  Now.  You say you checked your therm; which therm?  If you are relying on the therm on your smoker, I can almost guarantee that therm is off, and by as much as 50 degrees in some cases.  So you may be cooking more in the 300ish range.  Not necessarily a bad thing with this brisket, just check out a good digital dual probe meat therm.  As Ham said it's done when a meat probe or toothpick slides in like it was a warm stick of butter.  If looking for sliced brisket you should start checking in the 180-185 IT mark.  After wrapping in foil and resting for an hour it will hit 190-195 degrees which is just about right for slicing.  For pulling ( being from Tx. I don't know WHY anyone would PULL brisket ) take it to the 190-195 IT then wrap and rest for AT LEAST 1 hour.  Wrap in foil and a blanket.  2 hours better.  Each brisket has a mind of it's own.  Relax.  Grab a cold beverage of your choice, sit back and enjoy the experience.  Good luck.  Keep smokin!

Danny

Hello nana .  Welcome.  I see this is your first post.  Please take some time and swing over to Roll Call and introduce yourself so that we may give you a proper "Hello".  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  As for your question:  Here is my opinion for what it is worth.  Others will have different advice.  This is only my opinion.  I have cooked brisket for years.  Unlike many here I do smoke mine hotter and faster.  Hambone has got ya covered.  Relax.  Now.  You say you checked your therm; which therm?  If you are relying on the therm on your smoker, I can almost guarantee that therm is off, and by as much as 50 degrees in some cases.  So you may be cooking more in the 300ish range.  Not necessarily a bad thing with this brisket, just check out a good digital dual probe meat therm.  As Ham said it's done when a meat probe or toothpick slides in like it was a warm stick of butter.  If looking for sliced brisket you should start

checking in the 180-185 IT mark.  After wrapping in foil and resting for
an hour it will hit 190-195 degrees which is just about right for slicing.  For pulling ( being from Tx. I don't know WHY anyone would PULL brisket ) take it to the 190-195 IT then wrap and rest for AT LEAST 1 hour.  Wrap in foil and a blanket.  2 hours better.  Each brisket has a mind of it's own.  Relax.  Grab a cold beverage of your choice, sit back and enjoy the experience.  Good luck.  Keep smokin!

Danny

Relax? Says you! Panic is a right of passage for new smoke cooks. Temps is only panic class 101. We still have to get into fat side up or down....wood chips wet or dry.....where the wood comes from....and if the county you live in requires you to turn a perfectly good brisket point into burnt ends! No time to relax yet, nana.:biggrin:

ROTF.gif
 You just had too didn't ya gee?  I am trying to reassure nana everthing is going to plan and you just had to jerk my chain.  
banana_smiley.gif
  Nana; please forgive us for having a bit of fun.  None of this is directed at you.  Just once in a while we have to poke some fun at each other.  Fat side up or down and wet or dry wood chips are friendly debates we have VERY often.  Your brisket is doing fine.  Just continue to monitor it and I am sure all will be well.  Good luck.

Danny

:devil:
Alright already.....sorry. There's just times I have trouble controlling myself lately.... you know, prostate issues and all that. :biggrin:

You just keep relaxin' nana......relax.......relax..... you're getting sleepy....very sleepy.........

I guess its time for my nap. See ya.

LOL!  In 2 more hours it has only gone up 3 more degrees, so I'm at more what I was expecting.  I appreciate all the help.

Hello nana.  Thanks for being understanding.  We do from time to time poke fun but we take offering advice to folks seriously.  And we usually do continue to monitor when a member is having problems.  You have entered the stall stage.  This will last 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
.  Each brisket is different.  Don't change temps.  Keep that door closed.  Get a cold drink and ride it out.  2 hours - 5 hours - 30 minutes?  Ride it out.  As one of our members reminds us "patience Grasshopper".  Keep Smokin!

Danny

:devil:
Well nana, if you're not gonna.panic then I guess I'll have to panic for you. I'm going to open and close the door / lid on all my cookers every five minutes for the next 3 hours. You just RELAX..... I'll take care of this part for you..... since you're new.

Nana, what the guys are saying is the internal temp never makes its way on a straight line from 40*F or less to 200*F or so. It more than likely takes a very predicable "S" curve to completion. If you track you cooks this is what you'll find

http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/bamabbq/media/PorkButtCook_zps2402aedf.png.html

It does that because of the stall. A condition where the meat sweats until it can't sweat anymore then slowly rises.

Don't panic it's just cookin. Cook to tenderness when temps tells you to start checking.

Hahaha!  Thanks!  I started cooking this weekend for the 27 people I have coming for Thanksgiving.  Panic attacks are not on my to-do list and I have no time for them!

27?! Damn girl... I have a feeling you are well schooled in cooking and baking. You sure you just ain't playing with us here? If you put out holiday fare for that many people I bet you can teach us a thing or three. Thanks for letting me have a little fun and may you and yours have a wonderful dinner and holiday.

Reactions: thebattman
Great attitude. Don't open the pit (until you start cking for tenderness), crank up the heat, or finish it in the oven. Just maintain the pit temp and you will be rewarded. The guys at Chef Steps say the longer it sits in the 165*F-ish range the better it will be.

Last edited:
Hello nana.  Told you we wouldn't desert you.  We now have Bama offering great advice.  Sometimes we may sound like jokers but it is just to make folks feel welcome.  As I said we take offering advice very seriously.  As  I see it you are going great.  Keep on keeping on.

Danny

Brisket looks great?

I don't even start cussing until 160 to 165.

Then I cuss, relax, grab another beer out of the cooler.

And sit in for the wait!

Good luck and good smoking.

Awesome job on the Brisky!  Took me forever to get up the courage to try my hand at one, and then only after getting myself a decent stick burner instead of the ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman)

Welcome to SMF and hurry back, ya hear?

Hello nana.  GREAT job.  Your Daddy would be proud.  Glad we could offer our humble opinions.  You've got the hard one out of the way.  It's all down hill from here.  Just perfecting your technique.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky