Brisket Buy - shocker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
So kroger had choice brisket in the weekly add for $3.49. I thought to myself yeah right they will be long gone... then I get home tonight and my wife the brisket fiend says she wants a brisket over the long weekend... After dinner and a couple cold ones I drive on up to kroger and they have ONE left. 15lb FP, a touch stiff with a decent amount of hard fat - seen worse seen better for $50! yup its in the fridge. Been saving my fat for tallow now - really love cooking with that so a little heavy on the hard fat is not a total loss. given the sitch - feels like a little win!

pretty shocked. the meat selection was not as bad as i expected as I gave a look over.

You're lucky. Here in Ga. it was $6.99 /lb yesterday. Today it was down to $4.99, not too bad, but not in that "happy " place. IF it can get below $4 / lb, it would be tolerable.

HUH? Last weekend at my local grocer was $10.99/lb for eye of round!! Sam's was $7.99.....just stupid. And frustrating!! My $0.02.

Reactions: phatbac
Yes, I am blessed to have only had about four or five days off. The downfall of that is that you cannot get into any of the grocery stores or even if you could, there's not much in there left for you to get

Not to knock Kroger but I find they like their briskets a bit much. You would be better off with a Sams Club or Costco brisket. You can get prime for the same price but a much better cut of meat. Kroger briskets are way too much hard fat and not enough marble for my taste. I started off on those kroger sale briskets. However I would pay twice as much to have a prime brisket. Inject it and make sure you wrap it at the stall to get an okay brisket. If your gonna spend 12-18 hours cooking a piece of meat make sure it is worth your time to cook it.

I wont mention the prices we have them this week at Kroger in TX :D

Congrats on the score!

Reactions: dandemclean
Not to knock Kroger but I find they like their briskets a bit much. You would be better off with a Sams Club or Costco brisket. You can get prime for the same price but a much better cut of meat. Kroger briskets are way too much hard fat and not enough marble for my taste. I started off on those kroger sale briskets. However I would pay twice as much to have a prime brisket. Inject it and make sure you wrap it at the stall to get an okay brisket. If your gonna spend 12-18 hours cooking a piece of meat make sure it is worth your time to cook it.
I completely agree, BUT I would be surprised if they have any. I have tried to pick up meat around Holiday at Costco here and they are stripped clean. with the shortages and lines I took the path of less pain.

Brisket is on sale here at Fry's (Kroeger) for $2.49lb, I can usually score prime brisket at Sam's for about $3.25lb. My wife doesn't eat beef, we haven't had company in months and we plan to keep on social distancing. I just have to pass on getting a brisket for now. RAY

WOW man. those are killer prices. My wife love brisket, hates medium rare anything. She used to travel a ton for work and I would gork out on blood beef all the time. Now its complicated...hers and mine, her longer with half the time getting tossed back on the grill. But I like the brisket too. so...

I wouldnt waste teh gas to drive to costco for a brisket this week or next. their shelves have to be bare. I went th eweek of christmas and they were cleaned out and at that time supply wasnt a thing.

I just checked Sam's and right now prime brisket is going for $5.98lb, that's almost double what it was a month ago. I might go to Fry's on Tuesday early when they open to see if I can get one for $2,49lb and just toss it in the freezer. At that price I could just grind it for my Hipshot burgers. RAY

I just checked Sam's and right now prime brisket is going for $5.98lb, that's almost double what it was a month ago. I might go to Fry's on Tuesday early when they open to see if I can get one for $2,49lb and just toss it in the freezer. At that price I could just grind it for my Hipshot burgers. RAY
I believe it! that choice from Kroger (Smiths here) would have been almost $90 full price. $6 a pound it too steep me brisket for me. Im gonna watch the weekly sales closer for a while...till things get back to normal - if there is such a thing anymore.

Yeah Sandy, I bought three whole standing rib roasts at Xmas for $4.75lb and butchered them up into steaks, ribs, and small roasts. With the chicken, ribs, and butts my freezer is pretty much packed and has been for months. What I've been doing is shopping every couple of weeks just to replace what's been taken out for the freezer. I won't pay over $5 a pound for anything! RAY

Reactions: sandyut
Krogers here has them for $2.99 lb this week. Once or twice a year they will run them for $1.99 lb. and I stock up. Got two in the freezer right now. All this brisket talk has been thinking it might be time to do one this weekend!

So I went and Kroger was out they only got half the shipment but should have more tomorrow. They are Choice whole packer Briskets for $1.67/lb .
Another smaller but nicer chain has Angus for $1.99/lb. I play to get 2 of the Kroger ones to smoke for my girlfriend's neighbors that have been mowing her yard while she has been working like crazy (she's a nurse) and I will smoke the Angus one for her and I to share .... if we aren't rained in all weekend. I'm keeping the angus one (or maybe 2 hehe) for myself anyhow :)

YES BE JEALOUS!!! Your tears taste like smoked goodies to me :P

Reactions: MJB05615
That's impressive!!! Amazing how Kroger there is 1/3 of the price as Kroger here in Ga. Enjoy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky