Brisket burgers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When you grind brisket for burgers do you grind just the flat, the point or the entire brisket? Rob
I do the whole thing. I usually just cut the big chunks of fat off then cube it up for the grinder. Personally I like to use 1/4 " plate for burgers. Mine comes out about 70/30 lean to fat ratio. You can trim some more fat off if you like it a little leaner.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I trim all the hard and thick fat and find there is still plenty in the burger to be juicy and delish! Grind the whole thing!

I do the whole thing. I usually just cut the big chunks of fat off then cube it up for the grinder. Personally I like to use 1/4 " plate for burgers. Mine comes out about 70/30 lean to fat ratio. You can trim some more fat off if you like it a little leaner.

Thanks for your reply.

I trim all the hard and thick fat and find there is still plenty in the burger to be juicy and delish! Grind the whole thing!

Thanks for your reply.

It seems all agree to grind the whole brisket and that is what I will do. Thanks again to everyone.

I'll be odd man out, I grind the flat, but I use some of the point fat in the grind. If chuck is on sale I'll buy one to grind along with the flat.

When you grind brisket for burgers do you grind just the flat, the point or the entire brisket? Rob
I ground it all but mixed with chuck roast to use the excess fat. really good

I'll be odd man out, I grind the flat, but I use some of the point fat in the grind. If chuck is on sale I'll buy one to grind along with the flat.

Thanks thirdeye for your reply. There is usually an outlier and that could be a good thing. I have read quite a few of your posts and I respect what you have to say. I am guessing you have tried grinding the whole brisket and Iam wondering what your thoughts are on it compared to the flat with the chuck roast. What do you do with the point?

Thanks thirdeye for your reply. There is usually an outlier and that could be a good thing. I have read quite a few of your posts and I respect what you have to say. I am guessing you have tried grinding the whole brisket and Iam wondering what your thoughts are on it compared to the flat with the chuck roast. What do you do with the point?

Yes I have ground whole ones, I'd just rather barbecue the point. If you go to this thread and look at post #8 and #16 you can see another way to prep a point. Points are not symmetrical and they are fatty, and I do some trimming (which can go in with the meat from the flat) and I butterfly the the big knobby end. I wind up with a somewhat flatter piece of meat and it's easier to cook. The grain direction is very obvious, so it slices well, or you can cube it and return to the smoker to make burnt ends.

Yes I have ground whole ones, I'd just rather barbecue the point. If you go to this thread and look at post #8 and #16 you can see another way to prep a point. Points are not symmetrical and they are fatty, and I do some trimming (which can go in with the meat from the flat) and I butterfly the the big knobby end. I wind up with a somewhat flatter piece of meat and it's easier to cook. The grain direction is very obvious, so it slices well, or you can cube it and return to the smoker to make burnt ends...

I looked at those two posts and I am going to try that. Focusing on smoking just the point and butterflying it will make it easier, especially for a beginner like me. There is a lot of meat smoking a whole brisket and I like how you split it into smaller portions. Thanks. Rob

I love brisket burgers! During the pandemic meat shortages I could only find flats. I bought a flat and ground with some pork fat...very delicious and juicy.

I Grind brisket all the time.
You don’t need to buy anything better than Select.
Although I have ground Prime & I really didn’t tell any difference.
You can use the trim fat to get it to about 70/30 which is what we like.
You can also separate the point from the flat & smoke the point, or turn it into pastrami, and grind the flat with the extra fat you trimmed off.
I haven’t bought ground chuck in years & don’t miss it a bit, cause I know exactly what is in my burgers.
If you want to try something really decadent, then grind 2 1/2 lbs of brisket with 1 1/2 lbs of pork belly. Them make 6-8 ounce patties. A couple of slices of cheese on top & you have a really good old fashioned greasy cheeseburger.
That is my wife’s favorite mix! But you can’t eat it every night, maybe once a month.
Al

Reactions: forktender
I grind the whole thing as well minus the hard fat. I normally freeze the trimmed fat from a few brisket and save it until I grind my burger....I would damn near kill for a nice fatty brisket burger.:emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky