Brisket assist

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SJWinter

Original poster
Feb 8, 2020
Hey guys. Doing brisket tonight.

I bought a 14lb brisket and have cut 2lbs of fat out. I left the point and flat attached but am now worried. Should I cook them separately?

If yes then I have plenty of time to separate them as I'm not starting to the cook until midnight(ish). Could you also give me a clue with the burnt ends. I know I'm asking a lot but I want it to go right. Once I bring the point out, do I put it in with the sauce for long... like 2hrs or just to coat for 20mins.

I would leave the whole thing intact. I’ve never made burnt ends so I can’t help with your second question. Make sure you take lots of pics we like them pics.

Reactions: SJWinter
I like to split the point from the flat once it hits 150-160 and the put in separate wrapped smaller foil pans. After hitting 200 degrees I chunk the point , add sauce and put back on smoker without foil on top for about 2 hours for burnt ends. The flat rests and is sliced.

So..... my smoker dictated that I separated them...... it was too big hahaha.

20200222_222436.jpg

So, in under 3 hrs..... when I put it in to checking it. The brisket got itself to 177. I wanted to wrap it at 160. It seems everytime I think I've got this right the meat gods throw me a curveball. Oh well, it fully wrapped now and I'll let it go to 200. Once the flat come out I'll put a little bit of broth inside the wrapper and work on my burnt ends to get them back in for 90 mins in the sauce.

Dyno glo electric smoker. Set to 250. First time I've cooked at 250. Normally I set 225

Dyno glo electric smoker. Set to 250. First time I've cooked at 250. Normally I set 225

Should be just fine. Are you using a independent temp gauge or the one that comes with the smoker? I know with some electric smokers there are some very large temp variances. RAY

The one that comes with. I am intending to change and get an independent one though.

Yeah SJ, you really want to get a Inkbird or ThermoPro to double check things and find what the smoker temp is right where the meat is situated, like this. RAY
DSCN1438.JPG

I'm kind of hoping I havent screwed it now. Never had this happen before but it cooked super fast! I wrapped it and left it for a further 90mins. Went to 212. Probe disappeared so tender, just hoping not dry. This is hours earlier than I expected or wanted. Now I'm having to stay awake entirely because the burnt ends have gone back in with the sauce. Brisket is still wrapped, I forced in so broth to help and it's in the cool box until lunch time

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky