Brisket and ribs - good turnout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

4x15mph

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
2nd time using my new lavalock temperature controller on my Weber kettle. It was freezing temps outside when I started at 7 am and the controller helped with the fluctuations. I injected the brisket with beef broth and the cook took a long time for this 5.5 lb brisket flat. At about 8.5 hours it was only 160 so I wrapped it in butcher paper and raised the grill temp from 230 to 265. After it hit 200 it was soft so I pulled it and put it on a cooler for 1.5 hours. I also cooked ribs which I added 1/2 way through the brisket cook. They came out great using 2-2-1. They were less fall off the bone which is what I wanted to try. I’m glad I did

I made brisket sliders with cole slaw and jalapeños.

88FE4AD6-A323-438E-9CC6-824F93B04E5A.jpeg
5007EACE-D311-4E06-BBBC-D0F455788593.jpeg
0D7E254A-81F8-41C3-9BA4-A39E9E74B0E7.jpeg

Wow, thats carousel worthy for sure, Nice cook 4X.
So did the lavaRock work well? The first time I've heard of this unit and I'll have to look into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4x15mph
Wow, thats carousel worthy for sure, Nice cook 4X.
So did the lavaRock work well? The first time I've heard of this unit and I'll have to look into it.

The lava lock works pretty good and i am now comfortable that I can set it and forget it but in this cold weather the range will be a bit larger. I was able to dial into a range of 220-240. I did make some mods for the weber adaptor with a pipe fitting to send the air downward into the kettle instead of shooting "upwards". Works great

I did find that there is a huge difference in where a pit probe is placed in terms of pit temp. I say this since i used a Weber iGrill to get bluetooth and a graph display since the lava lock doesn't have any "remote" capabilities (wi-fi, bluetooth). That is okay when doubled up with my iGrill mini..... I also have a Weber Style with multiple probes that is bluetooth and I use that for the meat temp.

I will use the lava lock for the pit temp and I can comfortably set it and only pay attention to when new coals will be needed.

Reactions: DanMcG
2nd time using my new lavalock temperature controller on my Weber kettle. It was freezing temps outside when I started at 7 am and the controller helped with the fluctuations. I injected the brisket with beef broth and the cook took a long time for this 5.5 lb brisket flat. At about 8.5 hours it was only 160 so I wrapped it in butcher paper and raised the grill temp from 230 to 265. After it hit 200 it was soft so I pulled it and put it on a cooler for 1.5 hours. I also cooked ribs which I added 1/2 way through the brisket cook. They came out great using 2-2-1. They were less fall off the bone which is what I wanted to try. I’m glad I did

I made brisket sliders with cole slaw and jalapeños.

View attachment 418881View attachment 418882View attachment 418883
What fuel source did you use. Straight Charcoal? Charcoal and wood chunks? I feel sure the meat was offset the heat. Water pan? Inquiring minds want to know. LOL!

I used charcoal briskets and wood chunks (not chips). The meat was offset from the charcoal and I had a water pan under the meat. I used butcher paper once it stalled. I think this temp controller (aka fan) really distributes the smoke. I have never seen color like this on my brisket or ribs

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky