Briquettes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hellbent357

Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
Thoughts on using briquettes only to smoke, lately iv been using lump with a few chunks mixed in. Seem to be having trouble finding lump around central ohio, and the last bag I did find seemed to leave a, sort of, dirty taste on the meat. Any thoughts on that as well?

TIA.

I have to be honest I gave up on lump a while ago.I get more consistency in both time and temp with briquettes.

I just want to clarify, are you planning on adding chunks/chips/splits to you briquettes? If so the yes there is no issue in using them. Some people claim they can taste the briquette on meat, I personally can't. You will also likely have more stable temps using briquettes because the burn more consistently.

You can use briquettes, but I'd stick to the all natural briqs like RO All Natural, Weber, Kingsford Natural, etc. That said, lump burns hotter and that alone will give a milder cleaner flavor. Briquettes can give a distinct charcoal flavor even without binders and brown coal used in Kingsford Blue.

i only smoke with briquettes but i do use very little wood with the embers i got. Might give KBB another chance once this stock runs low as its been extra smokey.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky