Brinkmann electric gourmet smoker and ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doug123

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 14, 2006
Pittsburgh
Hi,

I've been studying up and am ready to try my first ribs this weekend.

Someone gave me this smoker. I think it says in the manual it is preset to 250 degrees.

I was going to try the 321 method I read here.

My question is, I know 250 is a little hotter than the desired temp of 230 or less for cooking ribs. Should I cook them for less time? Is 250 too hot? I figure I'll just give it a shot and see what happens.

Also, how often do I spray with the apple juice? And if it is a hot day, do I need to worry about the apple juice going bad sitting in a bottle or something? I know that might sound dumb but just thought I would ask.

I'm thinking coat the ribs with mustard and rub, cook 3 hours without touching. Then wrap in foil with a splash of apple juice for 2 hours untouched. Then cook without foil for the last hour and probably spray with apple juice then?

I was given a bag of mesquite and a bag of hickory wood also. Which do you think I should use? I'm thinking the hickory?

I know I am probably thinking about it too much but the last time I made ribs I really turned them into charcoal so I would like these to turn out good. I can't do worse than the last time, trust me. :roll:

My wife and daughter have reminded me at least 3 times already :D

Does anyone here use this model? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Doug, time and time again I hear people stating that they are having trouble keeping the temperature up in their electric smoker. I'm sure not all electrics have this problem. If you are truly getting 250* then I would recommend cutting the 3-2-1 times down a bit, maybe 2.5 - 1.5 - 1, as the hotter temperatures will cook the meat faster.

Of the two woods, I would choose Hickory, but still use it sparingly, rib meat is thin so it doesn't take a lot of smoke to penetrate. Mesquite pairs better with beef.

I've never used an electric smoker so that's about all I can offer.

If you are committed to using an electric smoker what I did is tied the power to a temperature controller. I now am able to control the temperature to with in 2 degrees of where I want it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky