Brinkmann converted

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swalker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
NW Arkansas
Hi All, I followed gunhound's idea for converting my vertical brinkmann over to gas. I had one of those turkey fryers that we didn't use anymore..
So I removed the burner and have now installed it in my brinkmann. Like gunhound said. Takes very little time for the modification...I I have it running now with my very first meatloaf...It went to 250 degrees and then I cut the flame back and it has been setting there for a good fifteen minutes now. So I am thinking I will really like this new modification. I have never used a propane smoker before. If anyone has some tips, suggestions, etc. I could use them.
Thanks again for a Great Forum...

Steve

I can tell you how I use my small GOSM. I usually put 2 or 3 chinks of wood in the cast iron pan that sits above the burner to start. I try to start with warm water in the water pan so it does not take as much time to get up to temp. I need to put in 2 more chunks of wood every 45 minutes to an hour. That seems to coincide with when I want to spray or baste the meat. I have the bottom vents closed as far as they will go and the top vent open as wide as it will go.

I have found that on my smoker that if I set the gas knob to just below the medium mark, then the smoker will run between 225-240F. I think is cycles up and down because of how long the door has been closed or how much meat or other stuff I have on the racks. That seems to be the "sweet spot" for me. When I do BCC, I run it a little higher because I want the skin to get crispy.

I'm sure that as you experiment, you will find your "sweet spot".

Have fun and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Hi Meowey,

Yes it is all in experimenting I think. I have your meatloaf receipe in there and have just finished the peppers and have them in there too...I put in three chunks of seasoned hickory..Once they burned up, I added three more. So far things are looking good. What I like the most is the temperature staying very close to the 250 degree mark.
My wife will be home around 2:30pm or so. That should be just about removing time...hehe!!! Probably not having to cook anything will make her happy...

Thanks again for all the tips/advice. I appreciate it.
I will try and post some pictures later on.

Steve

That sure is a bonus with smoking. Doing something you love, making great food, and getting all important bonus points with the wife. :D

BTW, looks like a good clean mod on the Brinkmann. It just looks like it came that way. Good work!!!

Hi Chad,
Right now I am loving the conversion. All I have done different is drill out the two vent holes to a 3/8 inch instead of the 1/4 inch listed. I first did the smaller holes and had a yellow/orange flame. I upped the size of the vent holes this evening to 3/8ths inch and now have a blue flame to cook by...This LP Gas conversion really makes it easier to maintain a constant temperature in the smoker...No more baby sitting the guage..hehe!!! And with a few chunks of seasoned hickory...the meat comes out tasting fantastic...I can't thank gunhound enough for the info he provided for this conversion. I will probably never go back to a straight wood burning smoker...Just my experience from a few years of smoking meat...I am ready to do an all night smoke now....yahooooooooooooo!!!

Walker

Walker, I love my propane GOSM, but every once in a while I'll break out the old charcoal ECB just to play with the fire!

Thanks for all the info Dutch...The smoker pan, etc. I am really happy with the LP conversion on my Brinkmann vertical...It maintains a constant temperature now, which makes it much easier to cook with. I want to find a pan or something to change the bowl I have for hickory, etc. then I will be set.

We will be away this weekend, but for sure next weekend things will be smoky around here...

This if a great forum and I really appreciate all the input I have received.
Thanks to all..

Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky