Brining two days early

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WigglesOhTree

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
I am considering brining a turkey 3 days early and then letting it sit for 2 days in the fridge so the skin dries out so that I get crispy skin. Any issues with this?

If you are familiar with Alton Browns brine, it would be that one, and then I would be putting herb butter under the skin and drying in the fridge for 2 days

I am considering brining a turkey 3 days early and then letting it sit for 2 days in the fridge so the skin dries out so that I get crispy skin. Any issues with this?

If you are familiar with Alton Browns brine, it would be that one, and then I would be putting herb butter under the skin and drying in the fridge for 2 days
I just read Alton Browns brine and it seems fine. Personally I would let the brine cool to room temp and then add the proper amount of Cure #1. Heating Cure#1 kills it.
I would also inject the cured liquid into the turkey all over so it fully brines and cures all the way through.

If you use Cure#1 it would ensure you never have an issue letting that turkey brine and sit for a total of 5 days.
The extra benefit is that amazing cured smoked turkey flavor you get from Cure#1.

Personally I would just smoke it at 325F degrees and that would cure any skin issues without the need to dry but dry if you like. Cure#1 will keep everything safe period.

I hope this info helps :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky