Brining Pork Chops?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
I have a few chops in the freezer. I have never smoked a pork shop - thinking they would dry out and be tough. But then then I thought about the brining option..

Anyone wet or dry brine pork chops? If so can you pass on the recipe and how they come out?

Thanks! Dave

I've done them with pops brine if you dont want the hammy taste leave out the cure but smoke them a little hotter.

Reactions: zwiller
I have brined overnight in Italian dressing and they always turn out great .
And I use an apple juice brine I borrowed from Malcolm Reed . I'll try to find it and post.

EDIT
1 bottle apple juice
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup rub
Soak for 2 hrs

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: BC Buck
I have a few chops in the freezer. I have never smoked a pork shop - thinking they would dry out and be tough. But then then I thought about the brining option..

Anyone wet or dry brine pork chops? If so can you pass on the recipe and how they come out?

Thanks! Dave

Here ya go, Dave,
Link:----->>Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops and Canadian Bacon
DSC03274.jpg

That should help!
Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: YooperSmoker
Not exactly ”brine”, but I’ve done CSRs many times with equal parts soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, and water … with lemon, garlic, and onion added for flavoring. Have left in that bath for a couple days, then grilled. Always came out great.

If you're just wanting added moisture, a simple poultry brine will work fine. If you're wanting cured smoked chops, I believe I would just cure a whole or half loin, slice into chops, then smoke.

Thanks! Dave
Do wet brine chops and chicken.
I use no more than 1/2 c salt to 1 gallon water. You can add sugar at no more than half the salt amount, so 1/4 c sugar to 1 gallon water. Brine for at least 4 or 5 hours. Watch the IT on chops and don’t go over 150F. These are temperature sensitive the higher the final IT the dryer they will get.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Dave everyone has helped you for your question.

I have smoked them with just seasoning at low temp then very high temp on grill just for a char. Mine were thin and still not dry.

David

I do a flavor brine on all pork loins and chops. My ratio is around 1 gram of salt per ounce of liquid (which can be water or apple juice). I also like packaged brines like Oakridge Game Changer, Kosmos Chicken soak, or LC Fowl Play. I mix them much lighter than the standard recommendation. Brine time is 3 to 4 hours. Pulling the meat in the 145° range is a good plan.
zxj6Gu2.jpg

Reactions: 912smoker
Dave everyone has helped you for your question.
Very much so.

Many good ideas here. I'll post up when I get around to smokin them. Gonna be a few. We are out to night, ribs tomorrow and brisket Monday barring any unforeseen crisis...seem to be a crisis magnet lately. But I do have an unopened handle of Bulleit for anything that come up.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I've never thought to brine chops, but when I help my neighbor cater we cook A LOT of what we call porkies, 5/8" thick bun sized slices from a loin seasoned with gran garlic, black pepper and pork spice and let sit over night. We cook on an open pretty hot charcoal grill. When we pull them off they go into a full sized foil pan with a half bottle of water and kept warm and they juice back up very well. We mix and/or rotate them to get the warmer juicier ones on top and then put them in the serving racks with one sterno underneath. One of us always finds the loin tip pieces to throw on a bun after cooking, and most times I don't even put any sauce on the bun they're so juicy.
One of our local food trucks sells a 'pork chop' sandwich, and it's actually a 1/2" slice from a boneless loin, seasoned, battered and frozen from a supplier in Montana. They are deep fried and come with your choice of toppings. Surprisingly good product and a good seller.

One of our local food trucks sells a 'pork chop' sandwich, and it's actually a 1/2" slice from a boneless loin, seasoned, battered and frozen from a supplier in Montana. They are deep fried and come with your choice of toppings. Surprisingly good product and a good seller.
Sounds great! I always make extra schnitzel for sandwiches!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky