Brining finished but resting interupted?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spiralof5

Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
Hi! I think this is my first post. New smoker. I bought a crappy $70 smoker and modified it and it works well! Charcoal.

So I used the slaughterhouse brine for my whole chickens for about 12 hours and it was beautiful outside. Now that they are resting in the refrigerator the weather decided to take a piss. Will resting the chickens overnight dehydrate them? If so is there a way to save them? I already dumped the brine. I didn't want chicken juice just hanging out around the house.

Thanks!

i think you'd be fine if you put them in a zipper plastic bag and kept them cold in the fridge, i've done that with salmon w/o issue. they'll only take in so much salt, them meat might change texture, but it won't get "dry"

I think you'll be fine.  The salt and liquid has already been pulled into the meat.  If high temps of normal cooking for a normal time period don't hurt it, I think sitting in the cold fridge would be fine.  In all actuality, by letting them sit uncovered in the fridge overnight, you're going to dry out the skin, which is what you want to do.  That will help your skin crispen up while cooking.  A whole chicken benefits by cooking at a higher heat than 225°.  I usually cook mine at around 315°.

Last edited:
Hi! I think this is my first post. New smoker. I bought a crappy $70 smoker and modified it and it works well! Charcoal.

So I used the slaughterhouse brine for my whole chickens for about 12 hours and it was beautiful outside. Now that they are resting in the refrigerator the weather decided to take a piss. Will resting the chickens overnight dehydrate them? If so is there a way to save them? I already dumped the brine. I didn't want chicken juice just hanging out around the house.

Thanks!
Spiral, evening...... DO NOT put them in plastic.....  resting in the refer, on a wire rack, will let the skin dry out so you may have crispy skin...   The bird will not dry out.....   the salt in the brine will hold the juice in the meat, even during cooking...   The bird will be moist...  resting in the refer, uncovered, is a good idea with any meat.....    Be sure the temp is below 38 ish degrees F.......    

Post pics of the smoker with the bird in it and the finished product....    WE LOVE PICS, (Q-Views around here).....   

Dave

you'll want to use a roaster rack or the sort ( a cheap rack in a disposable pie tin) for the birds to sit on and catch the juice dripping out of them.... you'll catch quite a bit of juice... you don't want that mess in the fridge....

Let me also add this... when using brine... remember it's "SALT" water... we all know what salt does to metal... (ie. sink drains, metal fridge racks... roaster racks....) been there, done that.... had to change both kitchen sink strainers from dumping the brine down the kitchen sink ( I now dump the used brine down toilet)....

i've never tried the drying time on a bird before, i do it for almon all the time...I may hafta give it a try, nothing worse than rubbery chicken skin.

so do what they said , not me.... 
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky