Brining Cut Chicken?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

houstoncreed

Original poster
Jul 5, 2015
AC1D0DD9-9F80-4BDB-ADF8-FC58129E5DA5.jpeg
I just bought two farm raised and freshly killed hens from a local farm. They delivered them to a local market for pick up. I was surprised to see they had cut up both hens. I was planning on brining them whole, as I have done in the past. Now I’m wondering if that is required for a chicken cut in pieces. Does anyone brine chicken pieces or have any thoughts on the subject? I’ll be smoking them tomorrow, so I’d appreciate any and all timely advice.

I do . I dry brine or I use Pop's brine . I've gone over night , or up to 6 days for fully cured using Pop's . Don't be confused by the curing part . Yes just do it like you would for whole chicken .

Reactions: houstoncreed
Cooked to 155 in the Breast and 165 to 175 in the Legs, Chcken or Turkey will be moist. A brine is then optional, for added flavor. Best Roast Chicken I've eaten, came from a friend's hobby farm. It got feed but primary food was grass and bugs. It needed nothing but S&P and proper cooking...JJ

Whole chicken is mainly for appearance in my book. If turkey I will keep whole and net to make pretty since I usually give half away. I have a dozen plus chicky drums in Pop's lo salt right now headed to smoker tomorrow. $.69/lb.

Thanks everybody! It seems simple, but I just thought I’d check. I’ll get to brining right away.

I have to say I am super jealous that you can get farm fresh chicken too! I bet them are YUMMAY!

I am lucky to be honest. As long as the farm has a 24 hour notice, they can get whatever you want to the market. It doesn’t hurt that the same market has one guy selling water buffalo, and another guy selling smoked goose breast.

wow! I googled around and found a farm not too far away that sell farm fresh meats. prices were a touch high...but I expected that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky