Bring on the Bratwurst recipes!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

darbinco

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Western Colorado
I've convinced myself that its time to give it go with Bratwurst. I've been looking for a good brat recipe and have found a few but I'm not real impressed. I read some of these and think I may as well head to the store and pick up a six pack of Johnsonville brats you know?

I'd like a Bratwurst with a little heat to it. I don't want it to burn but if it had a little bite to it that would be great. If someone had a great Bratwurst recipe to share I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks
Darb

I love shooter ricks attitude brats. By far my favorite recipe. Everyone RAVES about them. For a twist try bratwurst burgers. No casing just make the meat into a patty. So good!

I have made up a variation of Shooter Ricks recipe and a Wisconsin brat recipe and use that as my "base". I then like to kick it up a bit. Base recipe below:

20 lbs. well-fatted pork shoulder/butt
½ cup kosher salt
¼ cup sugar
3 TBSP freshly ground black pepper
1 TBSP freshly grated nutmeg
3 TBSP toasted and freshly ground coriander
1 tsp. ground celery seed
1/2 tsp. ground marjoram
2 TBSP ground ginger
2 TBSP good paprika
2 TBSP dried rosemary
1/3 cup dry mustard
1 cup dry milk powder
4 cup cold water

I made this exact recipe up last week and then split it in half. To 10 lbs, I added 1 lb of cooked/chopped bacon and 1 lb of crumbled blue cheese. To the other 10 lbs I added approximately 1.5 lbs of a morel mushroom/garlic/butter/olive oil mixture I cooked up with extra morels I had last May. I sauteed them down, let them cool and threw them in a gallon ziploc bag and froze them until last week. I also added approximately 12 oz of cooked wild rice to the mixture. I wasn't sure how the morel/wild rice brats would turn out, but was very pleased when I cooked them up - it was incredible. My girlfriend isn't much into mushrooms, but loves the bacon blue cheese brats. Everyone who tried them gave them rave reviews.

That same day I also made up 20 lbs of the NOLA andoullie recipe and smoked them the next day. Incredible as always. I know, I know. . . . . thread is useless without pics - maybe next time I'll remember to take a few pictures.

I have used the AC Legg bratwurst seasoning and have been pleased. I have used straight pork and venison/pork mixture with success.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky