Brine for bacon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I was putting together my next order with TSM. And came across their brine recipe. This far exceeds the amount of #1 cure I've been using for brine. Anybody tried this? I would surmise that it is ok to use since it is from a well trusted site. And goes pretty close to another's post about cure amount.
  • 1 gal. water
  • 4 oz. (½ cup) Insta Cure #1
  • 1 lb. 5 oz. (1¾ cup) salt
  • 1½ oz. (2¼ Tbsp.) sugar

Steve, afternoon.... How about trying an equilibrium curing brine...
Weigh the meat and the water...
Add...
cure#1 at 0.25%
salt at 1.75-2.5%
Sugar at 1-3%
+ what ever spices and herbs you like..
Then you know what you have... It can sit for up to 2-4 weeks in the refer...
No rinsing or soaking to lessen the effects of too much salt etc....
And it's cheaper than store bought...

The package I got has it @ 3oz / gal of water
20190909_155632.jpg

Add...
cure#1 at 0.25%
salt at 1.75-2.5%
Sugar at 1-3%

Ah! Now I understand. Thank you.

That method works well if you use a liquid at 50% the weight of the meat...
So, 5#'s of meat and 2 1/2#'s of water.... use a zip bag... Makes it less expensive and takes up less room...

use a zip bag... Makes it less expensive and takes up less room...
I agree, and may I add, after you seal it up in a zip bag, put the whole thing in another zip bag incase the first one leaks. Don't ask me how I know this.

Reactions: daveomak
Add...
cure#1 at 0.25%
salt at 1.75-2.5%
Sugar at 1-3%

Dave I am hoping you can help me with your brine calculations noted above, if I am not using water, just putting it on like a rub do I just calculate the meat weight and work from there? i.e 1 kilo of meat = 2.5 grams of cure #1 = 0.25% cure

If using water (wet brine/cure) do I add weight of water + meat and then make the curing brine. 1 Kilo of meat + 4KG of water = 12.5 grams of cure #1 = 0.25% cure

Just a bit confused with the addition of water?

Dave I am hoping you can help me with your brine calculations noted above, if I am not using water, just putting it on like a rub do I just calculate the meat weight and work from there? i.e 1 kilo of meat = 2.5 grams of cure #1 = 0.25% cure

If using water (wet brine/cure) do I add weight of water + meat and then make the curing brine. 1 Kilo of meat + 4KG of water = 12.5 grams of cure #1 = 0.25% cure

Just a bit confused with the addition of water?

Sorry to jump in Dave but...You are Correct here! The goal is to maintain the Cure #1 at 0.25% with or without Water. So when the meat is fully Cured the end result is it absorbs 0.25%, no more, no less.
You got this! ...JJ

Reactions: daveomak and Jabiru
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky