Brick and mortar smoker and grill '16

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I bought a pallet of the firebrick from a local building supply store which brought the price down some.  On the smoker side, I installed them on their sides, which gave me around 50% more surface area.  I figured the firebrick didn't need to be 3" thick on the smoker side.  Here is the site I used for my doors when the couple local welders wanted to charge me $2000 to make doors for me... http://www.hallmann-sales.com/access-doors/ad-uninsulated-fire-rated-access-doors.htm

Hello Scott, If you need them assembled this will work, thanks for the share.

However I built my own doors of 1/4" plate with 3/16"x3"  frames from angle iron. I have about $2,200 total invested in my smoke house. I have approx. $450.00 in steel materials. My firebrick was $2.50 each here in Nebraska what is yours each... just curious?

Reactions: NayNay

Thanks Wes.  My brother doesn't have a fab shop, but he can weld and says he can make them.  Any idea where a cheap place to get steel(?) would be?  Home Depot seems pretty expensive.  Hey while we're on it, same question with firebrick.  Online and at Home Depot they seem to run about $5 ea.  That is going to add up!
I think we've highjacked this thread... sorry guys...

If you can find a  fab shop in your area they should have a stock of what you need.  No idea on cost.

Firebrick,   Is there a local masonry supply close to you. ( A place of business that sells brick, block, sand etc ? Box stores are a rip off on masonry supplies.

You might check the prices on masonry at your local builders supply.    I got mortar there cheaper then anywhere.

Good luck, start a new thread on your build and keep us posted!!

Reactions: NayNay
I think we've highjacked this thread... sorry guys...

If you can find a fab shop in your area they should have a stock of what you need. No idea on cost.

Firebrick, Is there a local masonry supply close to you. ( A place of business that sells brick, block, sand etc ? Box stores are a rip off on masonry supplies.

You might check the prices on masonry at your local builders supply. I got mortar there cheaper then anywhere.

Good luck, start a new thread on your build and keep us posted!!
thank you!!

Awesome build. Would like to do something similar. Hopefully soon. Could you please post plans. Thanks

Here ar esome pics of the build of the smoker and grill I built this year. I wanted the firebox to be offset to better control the temps. The ceilings and floors of the smoker and firebox are a mix of refractory cement, perlite, and lime. I couldn't find a local welder that would give me anything resembling an affordable price to custom fabricate doors. I ended up ordering a 2'x2' and 3'x3' fire rated doors that were meant for fire extinguishers in walls that I painted with high heat grill paint. I installed the vents and cut the openings in them with a jigsaw (went thru a few blades!). I purchased the handles separately and had them welded to the knobs that came with the door. I ended up needing to add insulating tape to inside of the doors to get them close to air tight. I should have ordered a slightly larger charcoal basket, but once up to temp, it maintains a constant 225-250 temp for close to 3 hours with little or no adjustment. VERY happy with the end result!

I have architectural plans I could share, but I can't figure out how to attach a PDF file.

e

Scott awesome build. And I hope u got a lot of good tasting meat out of the pit Is there anyway you could email me ur plans am looking to due something like this for a winter project

Hey Scott. First of all, I have to say, your build is amazing. I love it!!!

Would you share the PDF? I would really like to try building one myself and your plans will make my life so much easier as I have close to null experience. Thanks in advance.

Here ar esome pics of the build of the smoker and grill I built this year. I wanted the firebox to be offset to better control the temps. The ceilings and floors of the smoker and firebox are a mix of refractory cement, perlite, and lime. I couldn't find a local welder that would give me anything resembling an affordable price to custom fabricate doors. I ended up ordering a 2'x2' and 3'x3' fire rated doors that were meant for fire extinguishers in walls that I painted with high heat grill paint. I installed the vents and cut the openings in them with a jigsaw (went thru a few blades!). I purchased the handles separately and had them welded to the knobs that came with the door. I ended up needing to add insulating tape to inside of the doors to get them close to air tight. I should have ordered a slightly larger charcoal basket, but once up to temp, it maintains a constant 225-250 temp for close to 3 hours with little or no adjustment. VERY happy with the end result!

I have architectural plans I could share, but I can't figure out how to attach a PDF file.

e

[/QUOTE

Great job, I was interested in these builds after seeing the Pompeii bread ovens that are still around from hundreds of years ago. A masterpiece that will stand the test of time.

How to download plans and instructions? I'm really interested to build one :)
Thank you

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky