Breaking out of the norm.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tomhooper

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 10, 2016
College Station, Texas
Decided to branch out a little. Never cooked a pizza on a smoker before but thought I'd give it a try. Let's not get carried away, I bought a frozen DiGiorno's pepperoni. Moved all the pepperoni to one side because it's not my favorite. It is my wife's. Piled on some leftover chopped brisket I'd done over the weekend and away I went. 400 degrees on my Traeger. Figured about 20 minutes. Well it took a little longer. Ended up cooking for 35. Turned out pretty tasty. Wife said the pepperoni picked up some smoke flavor and she really liked it. Will definitely have to do it again. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
pizza03242022.jpg

Nice! Ive done a couple from scratch on my rec teq. Picked up a little favor, but at 400+ not much smoke is happening

I hate running the oven when its 100 degrees outside too - Ive done pizza on my Weber Genesis. Worked good, but I think it used a ton of propane.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Nice! Ive done a couple from scratch on my rec teq. Picked up a little favor, but at 400+ not much smoke is happening

I hate running the oven when its 100 degrees outside too - Ive done pizza on my Weber Genesis. Worked good, but I think it used a ton of propane.
I tasted the pepperoni and it did have a hint of smoke flavor. I have eaten pizza done on a BGE and the crust had a smokey flavor. Didn't notice in this one. Maybe because it was frozen at the start.

We used to do pizza from a take-n-bake shop called Papa Murphy’s. They were good, then the owner sold and the pizza went down hill, made biscuits several times too. Pellet grilles are ok as an oven.

Looks good to me . I like the look of the pepperoni . Nice work .
I did 1 from scratch and one frozen last weekend on the 22 " kettle .

If you like thin crust bar style pizza, an easy way to break into live fire pizza is to blind bake the crusts, which freeze very well. Then all you have to do is build a pie and cook it around 450°. The cheese and tomato sauce pick up the 'brick oven' flavor.
PslPbjD.jpg
These were all cooked on my Big Green Egg.
fOgUcLq.jpg
LF6XrPR.jpg
b4HQUiI.jpg
And speaking of biscuits, they work great too on a grill, as does cornbread.
1DU1VSZ.jpg
I0h34sT.jpg
i7M8Evd.jpg

Not a thing in the world wrong with that!! We don't keep pizzas around so they are either thought about in advance and I make the dough or we do take-out from a little place here in town that does a pretty good job. At the end of the day that pizza looks really good.

I have eaten pizza done on a BGE and the crust had a smokey flavor. Didn't notice in this one.

That is because of the higher heat you're running. With pellet grills the higher the temp, the hotter the pellets are burning (of course) and they create less smoke. I get the same thing with my Rec Tec. It's just the nature of pellet grills. If you want a smokier flavor, run it at a low temp for a bit then raise the temp to finish cooking.

These were all cooked on my Big Green Egg.

WOW!! All of those pizzas, and the biscuits of course, look fantastic. I wanna be your neighbor :emoji_wink:

Robert

Not a thing in the world wrong with that!! We don't keep pizzas around so they are either thought about in advance and I make the dough or we do take-out from a little place here in town that does a pretty good job. At the end of the day that pizza looks really good.

That is because of the higher heat you're running. With pellet grills the higher the temp, the hotter the pellets are burning (of course) and they create less smoke. I get the same thing with my Rec Tec. It's just the nature of pellet grills. If you want a smokier flavor, run it at a low temp for a bit then raise the temp to finish cooking.

WOW!! All of those pizzas, and the biscuits of course, look fantastic. I wanna be your neighbor :emoji_wink:

Robert

Yeah I knew the high heat would knock the smoke down. Was just odd that I could taste it in the pepperoni but not the crust. Maybe has something to do with the fat. I don't know.

We get pizza from a place called papa murphy's here it's not cooked. Comes at slamming on the grill. thanks for sharing. I also like the rising crust digerno's from the store not to bad for frozen pizza

We have also used the same pizza when not doing fresh. And we top it with a lot more items also as the frozen ones are very shy on amounts.
I find when I cook with the pepperoni on the top at high temps if really brings out the favor of the pepperoni, that could be what maybe the smoke you are tasting.

I have not done one in my smoker yet , but on the BBQ yes. Might just try the smoker soon

Thanks for posting

David

I did a Red Baron one on my MES Gen 1. Came out good, took ove an hour though, the MES doean't go over 275, lol. Was a good flavor, also added more pepperoni. Had some smoke flavor. Just not crispy enough. Yours looks delicious and I'd say you nailed it. Chopped Brisket on Pizza sounds great. Nice work.

Here is another approach you can try:

John

Looking good - we still need to try my wife's pizza on the gravity smoker. I bought two pizza stones specifically that would fit side by side on the main cook surface.. still haven't tried them though 🤦‍♂️

Here is another approach you can try:

John
Looks easy enough I may be able to try. Where did you get the steel plates? Can I use a Pizza stone instead? Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky