Breaking in the 14" WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

We're finishing off the last of 4 tri tips I smoked on Sunday for company or I'd be headed to pick up a cross rib roast tomorrow.  Man oh man that looked delicious! 
Thank you! Left over Tri Tip makes an excellent sandwee too! I haven't bought tri tip in a while. Trying to clear out the freezer a bit so I can do a fall defrost. Then its back to loading it up.

"Keep in mind this is not a new smoker, or at least that's the story..."

Your secret is safe with us buddy.  But dang... Did ya have to post it on the internet? 

Great tutorial. Love seeing the ins and out of it all.  Again I really think I want one.  point

So Case: How did it hold temp? Did it adjust well?  14" WSM Compared to the Mini? 

B

"Keep in mind this is not a new smoker, or at least that's the story..."
Your secret is safe with us buddy.  But dang... Did ya have to post it on the internet? 

Great tutorial. Love seeing the ins and out of it all.  Again I really think I want one.  point

So Case: How did it hold temp? Did it adjust well?  14" WSM Compared to the Mini? 
B

Thanks Brian! Hey it's used now!

Worked just like the Mini and the 18 WSM. Hardly had to fiddle with it. As it seasons up she'll be rock solid. I'm pretty positive I'll be able to get a full load at low temps (225-250) to last 18-20 hours. It holds more charcoal than the mini. The doors a bit leaky at one of the top corners. Not really an issue. I may use some high temp tape on it. Where it really leaks right now is the lid. Just needs to gooped up and seasoned.

Ten degree difference between the top and lower grates. The stock therm is off by 30 degrees higher than the upper grate temp. Nixt smoke I am going to place one of my iGrill therms right next to it because I'm not buying that there's that much difference. I think it's probably closer to 10-15.

Next smoke Hot wings!

Those would look pretty good on my Panni grill, I took it from my job told the boss if he made me move it one more time I was taking it home!:biggrin:

Last edited:
Thanks Brian! Hey it's used now!

Worked just like the Mini and the 18 WSM. Hardly had to fiddle with it. As it seasons up she'll be rock solid. I'm pretty positive I'll be able to get a full load at low temps (225-250) to last 18-20 hours. It holds more charcoal than the mini. The doors a bit leaky at one of the top corners. Not really an issue. I may use some high temp tape on it. Where it really leaks right now is the lid. Just needs to gooped up and seasoned.

Ten degree difference between the top and lower grates. The stock therm is off by 30 degrees higher than the upper grate temp. Nixt smoke I am going to place one of my iGrill therms right next to it because I'm not buying that there's that much difference. I think it's probably closer to 10-15.

Next smoke Hot wings!
Sounds like a winner! I'm surprised that the thermometer would be off that much as well. As we all know most stock units are relatively inaccurate. But Id think a weber would be better than most others. 

Last edited:
Test

Smoke away!!!
Case,

Ol' buddy do you think you need both? ..A mini and the 14"?  Reason I asked is my oldest son is negotiating my Rangers Mini for a Christmas present of a WMS 14. He'd like one built by his old man.  ...The sentimental moose.

b

Delicious looking sandwich.

Your post does bring a question to mind:

Can you have too many smokers?

Point.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky