Breakfast Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Akron, Ohio
So I am going to be making some normal summer sausage w/ TSM Goteborg spices in the near future.
Then I had the brilliant idea to try and make summer sausage out of Fasset's Breakfast sausage. So I thought I would make a small chub or 2. I have never mixed my own spices for summer sausage before & I am unsure of the salt content. Pop's normal sausage has 10.3 grams of salt per lb. Some summer sausage recipies I found on one website use 7 grams of salt along with the 1.3grams of cure #1.
I'm not quite sure what to do. I can use cure #1 & salt or TenderQuick.

I need a good starting point.

Thanks for the help.

Fassett's breakfast sausage is supposed to be a "fresh" sausage. But if you want to try, the correct measurement for cure in ground meat is one level teaspoon of cure #1 for every 5 lbs of meat or 1 oz for every 25 lbs of meat. Since there is already salt in Fassett's recipe, I would not use Tenderquick unless you cut back the salt. It also has sugar in it which a little may be desirable in a summer sausage. But if you do use Tenderquick, it is used at a different proportion than cure #1. They are not directly interchangeable.

The deal is that my wife doesn't like "normal" sausage, as she calls it. After 20 years I still haven't really figured out what she means by that. Anyway, she does like the fresh Fasset's sausage I have made. So I was thinking that I would try to make a semi-dry sausage with the same seasoning. The recipies I found for semi-dry sausages (summer sausage) had less total salts in them (combination of curing salts and regular NaCl) than Pop's has table salt. Only having used premixed spices in the past, (which include table salt), then adding cure #1, I don't know how much salt I have been adding. So I asked for help. I have used TQ before and know it is much different from cure #1. But I have only used it to make canadian bacon, never in sausage. So, I have it to use as well.

Don

Well Don, I can say you might be in a for long one when your wife says she doesn't like some thing but can't define it. <I have people I've cooked for who would do the same thing...people who won't eat pulled pork but devour ham and all pork breakfast sausage..but claim to dislike pork..ahh well.>

I would suggest this though- make a small batch, maybe a 1/2 pound batch or a pound, and try them as snack sticks for flavour. See if she likes it that way, then at least you know she'll try it as a summer sausage esque thing.

Understood. My wife isn't much for sausage links or cased in any manner. But will eat sliced peperoni, salami, hot dogs, franks, corn dogs, and so on...But she will try any loose ground or patty sausage. So I make that, plus whatever links/cased sausage I want. Its her loss if she won't try them, and I don't even bother to ask.

Don that's a great idea . I did a loaf out of a sweet Italian sausage seasoning , then sliced . Taste was great but it came out to salty , which was my error . I used cure 1 in mine , but added to much of the pre mixed seasoning .

I found a recipe in a book at home for summer sausage. It used 2.5% salt. Compensating for cure #1, that is 10.29 grams of salt per pound of meat.

I will probably just make a 1 lb batch. I can only measure ingredients down so far. I may have to use my gunpowder scale for the sage & pepper. Plus 1 lb is just right for my 1-1/2" dia. x 12" long fiberous casings.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky