Brand new newbie here! Baby back rib advice! Smoke vault 24.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I got my ribs tonight!. Had no idea which racks to buy, I stared at them blankly for 10 minutes trying to find the best looking marbling/least fat. but just grabbed one and called it good. 2.99 a pound, 28 bucks total 3 racks. Going to attempt this tomorrow. Going to do 2 of them in foil and one without foil, just as a pure test to see if I would like no foil method (id love to just toss them in and forget) Lol.

I dont mind the idea of over cooking them, I like my ribs to fall off the bone, so any tips and tricks. I ordered the dual probe thermopro set. The smoker, everything will be here tomorrow except the gasket. That arrives next week sometime, I will mess with that around then.

Do I need to let them get to room temp, or toss them in after pulling from fridge and seasoning etc?

got them smoking right now. took me all day to get it up and running, started 5pm, 2 hours smoked, then foiled at 7pm, at 9pm gonna bbq them and 1 more hour. then donee
will post photos on how awful or good they turn out

Well you sure got some good advice from the guys, especially Chili. But as you can tell everybody has their own method for ribs, and everybody likes ribs with a different taste & texture profile. So all I can say is keep experimenting until you find the perfect ribs for you & your family. It took me years until I finally got the ribs I was looking for, so if you hit it the first time that would be awesome!
Good luck & be sure to let us know how they turned out!!
Al

Turned out not too bad. I think next time will just put them without foil, kinda preferred them a bit more. just spray them with a little apple juice periodically. I will increase meat time from 5 to 6- 7 hours for a little more fall off bone. but was pretty tasty I just love fall off bone meat. last 20 minutes I tossed bbq sauce on and smoked them for a nice texture.

Attachments

• IMG_6899.JPG
    IMG_6899.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6904 2.JPG
    IMG_6904 2.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6907 2.JPG
    IMG_6907 2.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 18
ha, it took a long time to get it right, had to go to the Home Depot a few times get a new gas line, a dedicated 5 foot extension and new regulator to reach my grille set up. I y splitter into my grille and smoker. worked out!

Attachments

• IMG_6882.JPG
    IMG_6882.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6881.JPG
    IMG_6881.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6880.JPG
    IMG_6880.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6887.JPG
    IMG_6887.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6893.JPG
    IMG_6893.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6894.JPG
    IMG_6894.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 21
Welcome to SMF!

I too run a SV24 and it is an excellent propane fired smoker.
You can look at the link at the bottom of my post and see my recipes thread everything in there that's smoked was done on the SV24.
You will get excellent smoke flavor and smoke ring in your meats.

You really didn't need a door gasket, but it's okay.
More than enough smoke even when running perfect thin blue smoke that what little escapes is a non issue.
Run it with all vents wide open for best smoke production. The airflow being pulled through it help stay wood chunks stay lit and burn clean.

Burn chunks, not chips or pellets.
Dump the pellets and burn chunks.

from deck of cards to fist sized do well. Two chunks it's usually more than enough to start out with, If your cook goes on long enough you may replace or add one at a time. Often your smoke will seem to disappear even though it's still there, if you want a little more just take a tool and move the chunks of wood around a little.

Start your burner on med-high to high to ignite wood into a smoldering state, not aflame. Then lower burner to attain desired temp range.
Don't fight it to hold a steady temp, stay in a range, e.g. 225°-250° or 275°-300°... Don't get caught up chasing a temp.

The burner control is generally pretty delicate, as in it takes very small adjustments to change the flame size and thus temps... You'll get used to it quickly.

The burner is susceptible to high or Gusty wind and may get blown out. You may want to close in three sides on the bottom with sheet metal or plywood if you live in a windy area.

Definitely get a Good digital thermometer with at least one air temp probe and one meat probe, two or three meat probes is even better.
Use the air temp probe to to not only monitor cooking temps but to learn where the hot and cool spots are in your smoker.
It will also help you find your temp range and learn how high you want the flame on your burner for those ranges.
After a while you'll be able to look at your flame and guesstimate pretty well what your temp range will be.

Also get a quality handheld instant read digital thermometer for spot checking temps and probing for tenderness to ascertain readiness of many meats.

The water pan, use it with water in it not sand.
Unless perhaps if you live in an area where the winter gets very cold and then it may help maintain temps when you have to open the smoker to check food.
But in general use it with water it helps maintain humidity and is beneficial to getting good smoke flavor and keeping some food from drying out.
To get a steady temp range quicker, fill your pan with hot water from the tap so you don't have to raise its temp so far.
Maintain the water level or you will get a big heat spike If allowed to fully evaporate.

Maintain the SV24 and it will last you for many years.
Go on Amazon and buy an extra regular rack and an extra jerky rack.
If you plan on cooking lots of ribs for large groups get yourself a rib rack too.

If I missed anything or you have more questions feel free to ask in this thread.
Please don't PM me questions as I prefer to share information in open forum so other people can learn too.

Again welcome to SMF!

P.S.
Thank God for Talk to Text.
wonderful and thorough advice thank you!

Reactions: chilerelleno
I 'm trying to decide between the SV24 and the SV18. I'm only cooking for 2 so I dont need the extra space for more food. I also thought smaller would use less fuel.

is there another reason to get the SV24 over the SV18.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky