Brand new MB 1050...here we go.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

babydocsmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2022
Northern Utah
So, I caved when this dropped to $600 online and I bought one. Had a "professional" assemble it 'cause it was included in the price. Has been assembled for a week now and I haven't used it....cause I'm a little apprehensive with all the crap the gravity fed stuff has been getting over the last few weeks here on the forum. I need to use it soon though, if only to make sure it works so I don't have to send it back.

Question is, should I do any preventative care before using? I know of the mods and whatnot that are available. Think I'll probably get a firebox liner since that's easy and I know they wear out....but should I do anything else? I'd really like this to last for awhile if possible.

Adam

I'd say fire it up and smoke something! Been lot's of issues but lot's of guys really like them and the food they put out.

Ryan

Congrats on your purchase. I've had my 800 for a few months and have used it a lot and enjoyed every cook. My recommendations are to make sure and season it following the directions. Get the MB cover for it unless it'll be kept out of the elements. It's a quality cover and worth the price. Mods are personal choices, so do what makes sense for you. The only one I bought is the manifold cover and waterpan brackets. I put drip pans on the brackets. It really helps keep the grill clean. The grease fires you often read about can be avoided with this setup.

The switches are a weak point, but are easy to deal with if they give you trouble.

Enjoy it!

The parts that have issues are like $4 parts mostly lol. Burn off season use a cover and don't yank the cord outta the controller the solder their tends to break where the power goes into the board. You don't need mods just do burn offs before and after cooks and you'll be fine. I had 1 flare up in four years when i first got it because i didn't get the burn off thing yet. Enjoy it you're gonna love it

Reactions: clifish
As negolien negolien said, the power cord is an issue. It WILL happen where it gets stepped or somehow jerked, and it will come loose from inside the controller. Very incomplete design by Masterbuilt!

I secured the cord with a heavy ty-wrap, as you can see in the photo.

I love my 1050; only real negative so far is the fuel consumption. I may add the exhaust vent mod to deal with that.

Rick

Attachments

• MB1050 Power Cord.jpg
    MB1050 Power Cord.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 19
I love my 800, holds temp great. Only mods I got was the LSS hopper cover, really seals it up good and I went with the Klotesmod manifold cover/water pan combo. It overhangs the stock manifold by a 1/2 on each side and drip pans fit right on top.

Mods are not necessary especially if you are diligent as negolien negolien .

Spray the switches with a contact cleaner and they will last longer.

Congrats on the purchase and hope you love it as much as I do !
Do the burn off as others have said and use contact cleaner on the switches between cooks to help reduce/eliminate the problem. Spray them and work them manually for 30 secs or so after cool down. No more switch issues.
I added a layer of foil between the hopper and the lid to keep the inside lid paint from bubbling and put a double layer on top of the heat manifold for easy cleanups.
Fire her up and get to cookin'!

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky