Branches for smoking and bark or no bark

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chickenwings

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 10, 2019
I got some scraps from a mesquite tree in the yard. Small 1" branches. Think they could be used for smoke in a kamado? I'm used to using fist sized chunks with no bark....

Thanks in advance!

On limb wood with thin bark, I don't worry about peeling bark off. I haven't found much difference in the flavor with or without the bark. On larger stuff with thick bark, I do remove it.

I did the same with some apple and pecan trees my brother trimmed in his yard.
Just make sure it's seasoned. Keep it in a place it can dry out completely for a few months to a year.
If not you will get bad smoke and it will taste terrible.

Wow, thats a good idea 😊. I have 2 apple trees in my yard that have never really grown well, not enough light and every year think I should just cut them down, but then I would have to dispose of them so I don't. Now maybe I should.

well I'll leave them and give them a try I guess. Thanks everyone!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky