Bradley 4 shelf digital heating element question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hangmanli

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 2, 2017
Long Island, NY
Hey guys,

I have a Bradley 4 shelf digital smoker which I’ve had for @ 4 or 5 years. I think the heating element is dying. Is it best to replace it with a Bradley heating element or are there better options available?

thanks for any helpful advice!

I think Bradley makes a higher output replacement heating element. What is it doing?
I’ve been doing a couple batches of summer sausage in 2 1/2 inch fibrous casings. Normally I start them off at 120° and I use the amazing smoke tube (I no longer use the Bradley pucks). Then I bump up the smoker temperature about 10° every hour.

what I try to do is get the internal temperature up to about 135° in the smoker. I’m using a Thermopro meat thermometer with two probes and a remote. Then after reaching 135° in the smoker I transfer the casings into a hot water bath (Turkey roaster) to get them up to 160° .

Yesterday the internal temperature got up to 131° in the smoker and then it started going down to about 120°. This is the first time that I saw the meat temperature drop instead of rising. I dried out the meat probes in an oven at 250° for two hours beforehand. Then I tested them in boiling water and they are working. So I know something is going on with the Bradley smoker. I have to assume it is the heating element rod.

Reactions: Nick87
How was the weather when you were doing this? Did it stabilize at 120. Or continued to drop?

actually the weather has been cold lately but in the past few days came up into the mid 40’s. I have the smoker in a screened in porch. In the past I have used it in colder weather without any issues.

I cleaned that “button” sensor on the back wall of the Bradley smoker (just to rule that out). I also gently cleaned the outside of the heating rod with a Brillo pad to make sure it was clean.

Right now a have a second batch of summer sausage underway. The smoker temperature right now is set at 120 degrees with the amazing smoke tube inside. I’ll keep monitoring this batch to see if anything changes this time.

Reactions: Steve H
I’ve been doing a couple batches of summer sausage in 2 1/2 inch fibrous casings. Normally I start them off at 120° and I use the amazing smoke tube (I no longer use the Bradley pucks). Then I bump up the smoker temperature about 10° every hour.

what I try to do is get the internal temperature up to about 135° in the smoker. I’m using a Thermopro meat thermometer with two probes and a remote. Then after reaching 135° in the smoker I transfer the casings into a hot water bath (Turkey roaster) to get them up to 160° .

Yesterday the internal temperature got up to 131° in the smoker and then it started going down to about 120°. This is the first time that I saw the meat temperature drop instead of rising. I dried out the meat probes in an oven at 250° for two hours beforehand. Then I tested them in boiling water and they are working. So I know something is going on with the Bradley smoker. I have to assume it is the heating element rod.
Sounds like it I was going to mention make sure your connections are tight on chords. Sounds dumb I know but the slightest wiggle can help sometimes mine stalls around 120 wiggle the plug goes right up.

I think I found the problem. I have had another magnetic door seal in reserve since last year. The original door seal isn’t holding itight like it used to. I cleaned up the surfaces for now. This batch of summer sausage got up to 135 degrees and then went into the hot water bath to get to 160 degrees. I will remove the door and a change the gasket. I think that’s why the meat wasn’t holding temperature.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky