Boursin - or Boursin-like Spread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmichini

Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
Hi all

I wanted to share a recipe that I picked up from a Louisiana church cookbook about 20 years ago. It's a homemade Boursin cheese, but really just an herbed cream cheese (store bought Boursin is a little more crumbly - and multiple times more expensive). The wife loves it, and there is always a bowl of some in our fridge.

It's dynamite on crackers/toast points, etc. for pupu's while enjoying some frosty beverages.
It's also out of this world as a sandwich spread. There was a rotisserie restaurant in CT that put something like it on a roast beef sandwich on pumpernickel (with some lettuce & tomato or arugula, etc.), and it was awesome.

Ingredients
1 8 oz. block of cream cheese - I use the 1/3 fat neufchatel since it's so flavorful. I can consume more calories/fat in other feeding avenues.
1-2 clove of garlic - finely minced (the finer the better)
1/2 tsp dried thyme - crushed up in your hand to release the flavors
1/2 tsp dried dill
3 tbs finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 tbs dried chives
Salt & pepper to taste

Process
Soften the cream cheese and put into a bowl
mince the garlic super fine and add to cream cheese, mix so it starts to get well incorporated.
Add thyme and mix again.
Add dill, parsley, chives & S/P and mix again.
I drop it into a ramekin, smooth the top, cover and I score points with the boss at home.

Let sit for at least a half hour to let it all come together, and have at it.

As you can see, I mix a few times just to ensure you get a nice even incorporation. It also continues to soften things so it gets easier and easier to work with - that's because I usually think about it when we're out and it's getting close to the cocktail hour.

If anyone gives it a go, I'd be interested to hear feedback.

Cheers!

Reactions: jcam222
There is more to the difference between boursin and creamcheese than crumbliness and price.

Nevertheless herbs/garlic cream cheese is great. We can get it in stores here. Not available in your area?

This sounds delicious. I’m going to pass it along to my wife who will probably make some soon. EDIT- as I read your post again it occurred to me I can make it and score points with my wife lol.

Good point, the crumb lines does evoke a ricotta like texture.

I’m not judging what may or may not be available in anyone’s hood, but just sharing a treat I stumbled on long ago and have enjoyed a lot.

Also is basically a garlic herb schmear you can get on a bagel.

Not being critical of your recipe. It does sound great. It just occured to me that a Farmer's Cheese or Drained Ricotta, woud be closer in texture. I apologize if I am out of line analyzing the possible origins. I'll remove my posts...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky