Bourbon, Whiskey News, and Covid

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
1557401177.jpg

$9.99 at the Class VI
1557401177.jpg
1557401177.jpg
1557401177.jpg

I got this bottle of Barrell Dovetail for Xmas. It's aged in a few different types of barrels, at 124 proof also increditably smooth. The finish on the whisky is right up there with the bottles of 21-23 year-old single malt scotch that are kept for special occasions, this is the best Kentucky sippin' whisky I've ever tasted, one of 2502 bottles. RAY
DSCN3540.JPG

I'm fortunate to live about 20 minutes away from the Woodinville Whiskey Co. Their stuff (bourbon, rye, straight whiskey) is pretty good, and most of it is in the $40-$50 range.
I'm in the Puget Sound area, also. The port finished bourbon from Woodinville Whiskey is one of my favorites. Even though Angel's Envy started the trend of barrel finishing bourbons, Woodinville's version is much better (in my opinion).

I've become much more of a scotch drinker, and Westland in Seattle is doing some amazing things in the American Single Malt area.

I'm on an Islay scotch trend at the moment. I find scotch just more appealing to my palate. Islay scotches are an acquired taste. I like the heavy peat smoke on most of them.

My wife and kids got me 2 Islay scotches (Lagavulin 16 and Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 Heavily Peated, plus one less smoky west Highlands scotch - Oban 14. I literally just got back from Christmas with them all. As soon as I get the car unloaded, the Lagavulin 16 will be the first I'll open.

Cheers! Or more accurately Slàinte Mhath (pronounced Salan-cha-va)
I've been moving into the peated scotch realm myself. I started with just lightly peated versions like Highland Park, then a little more peat like Oban and Talisker. Now I'm really into peated and sherried and I'm just loving the Talisker Distillers Edition and Ardbeg Uigeadail. Never had any of the heavily peated Port Charlotte or Octomores. Not sure if I'm there yet.

Westland Distillery makes a Peated version of their American Single Malt, and often have limited edition releases that head into the heavily peated range.

Reactions: noboundaries
My sincerest apologies, Brian. I somehow missed your question.

My favorite cheap drinking scotch is Trader Joe's Finlaggan Islay Single Malt. It has a light smoke influence and mildly complex flavor for $19.99, 750ml bottle, 40% ABV. It is a VERY easy pour.

Another absolute favorite is Total Wine's Scarabus Islay Single Malt for $35, often on sale for $30. More smoke and complexity. 46% ABV. Long finish. It's been sold out locally in my area, but will probably be restocked in the Spring or Summer 2022.
I second the recommendation for Finlaggen. To me, it's like BBQ ribs in a bottle. Most online whiskey forums believe it's a young Caol Isla (probably around 6 years old). Definitely one of the best deals available.

Never had Scarabus, but have heard good things about it.

Never had any of the heavily peated Port Charlotte or Octomores.

I've now sampled the three scotches I mentioned above. I don't have the ability to taste the things I watch Daniel and Rex find on YouTube's Whisk(e)y Vault, but I know what I like. I can smell and taste the smoke, like a subtle sweetness, and taste the difference between an aged high ABV bite and a lower ABV column grain alcohol bite (which I despise).

The Lagavulin 16 (43% ABV) was awesome. It had a muted smoke and barrel flavor and a lasting richness that I've never tasted before in another scotch. I absolutely kept it on my "family put this on my gift list" list.

The Oban 14 (43% ABV) was also fantastic. The subtle smoke just enhanced all the other complex flavors. It too is staying on my gift list.

The first Port Charlotte (50% ABV) neck pour I had last night left me underwhelmed. I tried it again just now, and wow, totally different. The smoke is more pronounced, but it reminded of that perfect sense of accomplishment when you whiff your hand through TBS and smell all the smoke elements you want to taste from the meat in the smoker. I immediately put it back on my gift list after taking it off last night.

I had purchased Ardbeg 10 (46% ABV) for myself for our anniversary. The smoke is more pronounced, and I really loved the whisky, but at a price point of $20-$25 more than the Scarabus (46%ABV), and not a HUGE difference in flavor, I would rather buy the Scarabus when it is stocked again.

One more point: the nose on the Scarabus (Total Wine $30-$35) is EXACTLY the same as the $20 Finlaggan from TJ's. Both are store brands and probably from Caol Ila. My sense is they are the same whisky with TJ's cut to 40% ABV, though TJ's is sweeter.

I've got enough whisky to last me a while. I may try Laphroig 10 when I empty a bottle in a few months, but the "love it or hate it" comments have moved it far down my buy list.

Not sure If I mentioned this somewhere else here, but I went to Kentucky last September. One of the places I visited was Sparta with some distant cousins and their business, the Neeley Family Distillery. Of course I loaded up on the stuff for the trip home, it's quite tasty. I'd put it in the upper-mid range of bourbons.
1640655206179.png

Not sure If I mentioned this somewhere else here, but I went to Kentucky last September. One of the places I visited was Sparta with some distant cousins...
And to think we have a Neeley on our forum!
That one checks all the boxes for me: it's from KY (or TN), it's at least 100proof, and it's a high-wheat bill.
Wish I could get their stuff in CA...very hard finding a high-wheat/low-rye bourbon here for a reasonable price. Would you mind if I asked what that bottle cost you, without the "cousin discount"? I really suspect that's some high-end stuff...and not because of the label (although Ray's comments are spot on).
But the thing about KY, is that the corner liquor stores are full of unheard of bourbons in the $15-25 range that are simply great. I'm sure CA, TX, and IN can do many things well but making bourbon just isn't one of them...although they sure know how to put high prices on poor-to-mediocre product.
Sorry if I offend with the strong opinions, but this is bourbon we're talking about!

Texomakid's thread with the rib roast and Eagle Rare reminded me of what I've been drinking lately.

Recently I was fortunate enough to locate a rare bottle of Jim Beam 8 year, in a clear bowling pin bottle. A gentleman was selling it unopened on craigslist nearby for $50. He said his dad had bought it, and it had been sitting in a box in his basement for years. The gold lettering on the front was a bit worn, but otherwise pristine. The old tax stamp was still intact, so I researched it a bit, and found that it was made and sold some time between 1963 and 1972. I saw that some bottles had sold for $350-$800 at some auctions, but I had no intention of flipping it. Instead, I opened last month with with some good friends, and still take a shot off it now and then. It's darned good bourbon!

About 20 years ago bought 4 bottles of pre world war 1 calvados (apple brandy) from an estate sale in UK for $400 in 1999. The bottles are "old glass". I would post a picture but not home now. Wasn't sure what to expect and the cork of the first bottle turned to dust. After filtering it was phenomenal. I still have one bottle left. Considering a 50 year old bottle runs $500 and up now it was the deal of the century. I am jealous because a 60 year old bottle of Jim Beam must be fabulous.

Here’s an option for oaking your bottles:

Description

Premium, Fire-Toasted Oak Cubes from Stavin
Medium + Toast American Oak will impart flavors of campfire, vanilla, roasted coffee and butterscotch.
These fire-toasted oak cubes are as close as you can come to the full range of flavors you would get from aging your beer in a full sized barrel, unlike convection-toased cubes.
The difference is that convection toasted cubes are made by cutting the stave to size, then passing the small cubes through a toasting chamber. Stavin fire-toasts their staves whole, just like they would when making a barrel, and then cuts them down to size. The result is a gradation of toasting from the surface through to the center of the cube, where each different toast level represents a different flavor set that the oak will give your beer. The result is a much more complex and natural profile; by comparison convection toasted cubes taste one dimensional.
Oak cubes also release their flavor into your beer more slowly than chips, giving you more control over the final degree of impact in your beer. You should plan on an extended aging period of 1-6 months when using cubes. This longer contact time again promotes flavor complexity by allowing all the flavors of the oak and your beer to marry.
Recommended Dosage is 2 oz per 5 gallons for impact equivalent to aging in a brand new oak barrel.

Hey guys! Have you ever come across Mizunara Oak chips? I've been hearing some buzz about that lately. I also saw that it is now available in the USA on MizunaraCraft. com, and I'm curious if anyone here has tried incorporating them into their aging process. I'm all ears for any firsthand experiences or insights you might have!

Well I've sure been pleased with the 2 liter oak charred barrel my son gave me. I've put many handles of Old Crow through it and can't see any degradation in the huge flavor improvement it gives cheap bourbon. It takes about a month when you first fill it, but once it's seasoned, I can take out a glass or two per week, top off each time (I think it important to not let these barrels--not even the tops--go dry) and all is good.

I just bought two of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2JFLJ2 to put in a cheap handle of Benchmark. I'll be happy if it works half as good as my barrel. (Old Crow is getting hard for me to find but I'm a little hesitant to change without some data.) Plus, I can try re-charring one of these turnings and see what I think. (I'm also hesitant to start a fire in my barrel.) Finally, the angels wont be taking their share out of a bottle like I can assure you is happening in my little oak barrel.
I've heard people complain these cubes or staves or 2l barrels CAN'T work near as well as time in a real rickhouse but keep in mind KY "law" only requires two years for cheap bourbon and it comes down to surface area to volume ratio so barrels scale with size as 1/r and my 6" barrel is thus 6x more efficient than a 36" cask. So two years in a rickhouse is like 4 months in my little barrel. Hmmm, the calc doesn't quite square with my recollection of one month working wonders, but there's also a fair amount of art in the science of food&drink. (Shrug.)

I'd love to hear from Plinsc if he's actually used the cubes he linked to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky