Bourbon smoked trout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

morrit

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 23, 2015
UK
So this is my lil recipe that i tried with sognificant success.

4 trout fillets pin boned and descaled
2 to 3 shots bourbon
Handful of salt
Handful of sugar
Garlic salt
Mace
Allspice

Mix the dry cure together and sprinkle a bit on the bottom of your curing tray, lay fillets skin side down. Then mix the bourbon with the rest of the cure to form a paste. Aoread the paste over the top of the trout and leave to cure for 6 to 8 hours... use more bourbon if you want... the alcohol helps draw out moisture as well as add a depth of flavour. Use cheap stuff though...not your 50 year old stuff.

Afterwards scrape off what remains of the cure making sure not to damage the fish.

Get another shot or 2 of bourbon and about 250ml water and make a bourbon bath. Wash the cure off in that and pat dry then leave to form a pellicle for another 6 to 8 hours.

Smoke over whiskey cask shavings and oak for 8 to 10 hours and voila... for an extra special touch you could get a spray bottle set to a fine mist and spray the trout before slicing and packing.

This is my xmas present to my freidns and family. Its cheap and cheerful but to buy on the high street would cost a pretty penny. A bit of luxury goes a long way.

You could use other spirits... gin is my next trick... probably grind up some dried juniper berries in the cure as well as in the smoke.

Let me know what you think!!

Cold smoked. Not sure on temperature just...cold. lol. I'm going to try a marmalade mixed with sea salt cure next... got the idea from a big seller who is currently selling a fillet at £300 each.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky