Bourbon BBQ Mac Biscuit Pie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tander28

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Kansas
Shoutout to this post from SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan for the inspiration. I had some leftover pulled pork and bourbon BBQ sauce, and loved the idea of stuffing it in a biscuit. But I had a LOT of leftover pork, and I wanted to push the ratio a bit and try for a bigger version--biscuit pie. Mac and cheese is a natural pairing for pulled pork, so I figured why not throw some of that in there too. I wanted to keep things simple, so I mainly doctored up things we already had on hand.

Pulled Pork - leftover from a shoulder I split in half (50% pork burnt ends, 50% pulled pork). Somehow I didn't end up with any pics from that cook.
BBQ sauce - Sweet Baby Ray's with red wine vinegar, some rub, honey and this time I added some Weller in there too
Mac and Cheese - Simple Truth boxed shells and cheese with some extra triple cheddar added in
Biscuits - Pillsbury southern biscuits, straight from the can!

Now for the pictures. First up, the sauced pulled pork.
bp9.JPG

Base of the biscuit pie (half the biscuits combined, pressed out evenly in a cast iron, par-baked for about 10 min with a smaller cast iron on top to press it so it wouldn't rise.
bp1.jpg

Mac and cheese ready to go
bp10.JPG

Base layer of pork on the biscuit bottom, then mac, then more bbq.
bp8.JPG

Topped with the other half of the biscuits pressed out, that I managed to stick my thumb through lol.
bp7.JPG

Halfway through I brushed it with melted butter mixed with some BBQ rub. 25 minutes later at 325, golden brown delicious!
bp6.JPG

Here's the interior AND the first slice.

bp3.JPG

bp2.JPG

bp4.JPG

I honestly couldn't have been any happier with how it turned out. Biscuit was cooked perfectly, and the flavor on everything was awesome. Went together great, and I'm ashamed how quickly I knocked out that whole pie.

Last edited:
Oh hell yeah that looks freakin awesome! Hell of an idea. I really like the combination of the mac and cheese and PP. I like to throw leftover mac and cheese in quesadilias with brisket or PP too. You are exactly right that is just goes so well together. You killed that man nice cook!

I cant take the credit though I just resurrected what chilerelleno chilerelleno came up with. See what you started Chili? Haha

Oh hell yeah that looks freakin awesome! Hell of an idea. I really like the combination of the mac and cheese and PP. I like to throw leftover mac and cheese in quesadilias with brisket or PP too. You are exactly right that is just goes so well together. You killed that man nice cook!

I cant take the credit though I just resurrected what chilerelleno chilerelleno came up with. See what you started Chili? Haha
Thank you! It was a fun way to use up leftovers and try something new for sure. Hopefully chilerelleno chilerelleno forgives me using his work as inspiration for this monstrosity :emoji_laughing:

Okay.... I really like this!
This is a great combo and you nailed it.
Far enough removed from my BBQ Biscuit Bombs to be an all new recipe, all yours regardless of inspirational source.

I'm planning more BBBs tomorrow but may give your pie a try instead.
See here, see the reciprocal inspiration?
This place is great for everything but the waistline.
LMAO!

• Haha
Reactions: RichGTS
Okay.... I really like this!
This is a great combo and you nailed it.
Far enough removed from my BBQ Biscuit Bombs to be an all new recipe, all yours regardless of inspirational source.

I'm planning more BBBs tomorrow but may give your pie a try instead.
See here, see the reciprocal inspiration?
This place is great for everything but the waistline.
LMAO!
Thanks, Chile! Gotta agree with you on that last point too haha

Wow....just WOW!! Great creativity and perfect execution. That just looks fantastic and the combination of ingredients is perfect in my book. Apparently in yours also :emoji_wink: Isn't it funny how sometimes you can put something together you think is gonna be good but it exceeds all expectations and just blows your mind? That's half the fun of what we do. Excellent job and a big LIKE

Robert

Wow....just WOW!! Great creativity and perfect execution. That just looks fantastic and the combination of ingredients is perfect in my book. Apparently in yours also :emoji_wink: Isn't it funny how sometimes you can put something together you think is gonna be good but it exceeds all expectations and just blows your mind? That's half the fun of what we do. Excellent job and a big LIKE

Robert
Thank you Robert! The times it exceeds expectations certainly make up for the ones that don't :emoji_wink:

Thank you Robert! The times it exceeds expectations certainly make up for the ones that don't :emoji_wink:

Hee hee hee...I was thinking the exact same thing when I replied. Decided to leave well enough alone and focus on the positive. Yep...there are inevitably going to be failures so just learn from them and keep going. You know you'll hit another home run real soon. Excellent insight and thanks for stating the part I left out :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: tander28
That's a wonderful piece of work! I like the CI pan on top of the other trick to keep the dough from rising, I'll remember that. RAY

That's a wonderful piece of work! I like the CI pan on top of the other trick to keep the dough from rising, I'll remember that. RAY
Thanks, Ray! My wife actually suggested it. She is usually supportive of my more ambitious endeavors, if a little skeptical too :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky