Bourbon Bacon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeamotive

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
Lees Summit Mo.
Has anyone ever made bacon with Bourbon? Sounds good but I don'y know if the bourbon would have an adverse effect on the cured meat. Whatca think?

WOW!

What an awesome idea!!!

What about red wine, if someone is afraid of the bourbon flavor?

You may want to try it on some BBB to save a few bucks, unless you have a belly waiting to be tested???

Todd

I have done the opposite and made bacon infused bourbon. It didn't last long. I can see where the oak flavor and tannins from the bourbon might flavor the bacon but it will be subtle if barely existent after smoking. At least that is my guess. Give it a try.

Bourbon bacon sounds fantastic, but i would wonder what effect it would have on the curing process, if any?  Anybody know if marinating a slab of meat after it has been cured has a negative effect on the curing process?  If it doesn't this sounds simple enough, cure it for the standard 10 days, followed by a day or two in your finest bourbon.  this sounds like something i will try next time i make bacon, which at the rate we're eating it, wont be long!

Bourbon bacon sounds fantastic, but i would wonder what effect it would have on the curing process, if any?  Anybody know if marinating a slab of meat after it has been cured has a negative effect on the curing process?  If it doesn't this sounds simple enough, cure it for the standard 10 days, followed by a day or two in your finest bourbon.  this sounds like something i will try next time i make bacon, which at the rate we're eating it, wont be long!

Could you just cure the bacon in the Bourbon ?
This is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.

Oh great----Mix those two huge addictions!!!

Do they even have such a thing------>>  "A & B-A" (Alcohol & Bacon Anonymous)???

Bear

Oh great----Mix those two huge addictions!!!

Do they even have such a thing------>>  "A & B-A" (Alcohol & Bacon Anonymous)???

Bear

Those are for quitters.
biggrin.gif

according to this article, the bourbon should help preserve the meat :

2.4. Combination Curing

Some current recipes for curing have vinegar, citrus juice, or alcohol as ingredients for flavor. Addition of these chemicals in sufficient quantities can contribute to the preservation of the food being cured.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/nchfp/lit_rev/cure_smoke_cure.html

Then shop at Todd's place and get some bourbon barrel dust to smoke it with

http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=21

Man I might have to try this myself.

Thanks for the reference there Slownlow I was wondering if I was going to get a real answer on this. Going to give it a try next time I make some bacon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky