bought a new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It's probably a good idea to weigh out chips for Mes smokers etc. at the beginning of a smoke to get consistent results and tweak from there.

No clue what the chunks weighed, but two 2" squarish chunks wrapped in heavy alum foil lasted about 4 hours at 225. Added two more chunks about the same size, and they lasted about the same amount of time. Just put another chunk about the same size in, and turned up to 250. IT is about 155 after 8 hours. Bark looks pretty good. When this chunk is gone, I'm going to foil it if I don't change my mind.

Just foiled the butt. IT at 160, bark is good. 9 hours in. This Smokin it is stress free. No worries about temps fluctuating. Only issue is the smoke not lasting very long. On my next butt, I think I'll set it up on Friday night when I get home from work. Add some more chunks before I go to bed, and let it go all night.

If you foil the chunks are you making lump charcoal you can then add to your charcoal for your grill or is there enough air to turn it to ash?

Bark is good. Flavor excellent, but a bit dry. Bone came out clean but not as easy as I’m accustomed to. Never had a butt turn out dry. It had been frozen. Would that make it dry? I had a tray under it to catch the juices so I poured that in the shred. Pretty good for first smoke with the new one.

Attachments

• 782F5748-6008-479A-AD25-45C8C8268523.jpeg
    782F5748-6008-479A-AD25-45C8C8268523.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 24
Bark is good. Flavor excellent, but a bit dry. Bone came out clean but not as easy as I’m accustomed to. Never had a butt turn out dry. It had been frozen. Would that make it dry? I had a tray under it to catch the juices so I poured that in the shred. Pretty good for first smoke with the new one.

Attachments

• 33EAF31C-A9CD-4597-8CF4-957F17205644.jpeg
    33EAF31C-A9CD-4597-8CF4-957F17205644.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 08969E39-91EE-4AB7-B16F-E69929B4C33E.jpeg
    08969E39-91EE-4AB7-B16F-E69929B4C33E.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 23
Congratulations on the #2. I have the exact model and love it dearly. I smoke nearly every weekend. Can't get enough of it. Enjoy!!!

Congrats on the #2. Some months back I purchased a #3 and absolutely love it. I don't know if you determined why no smoke but I foil chunks, chips and pellets and use them just fine. One silly thing that came to mind was to make sure to poke holes in the foil. The wood in the foil is reduced to charcoal not ash. Ash implies that you had a flair up. Good luck with it.

Hello all. Thanks for all the past tips. Based on recommendations here, and online reviews, I just bought a new Smokin It #2 electric smoker. It should be here by the end of the week. BTW, they have a special until Jan 2. 10% off any in stock smoker, free shipping, and a complimentary cover. I've only used a cheap Brinkman kettle style propane smoker. It's done great for me, but I've worn it out. Any tips/hints/suggestions on using the new electric job would be appreciated. I'm going to break it in next weekend with a butt. Happy new year to everyone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky