Bottom Round Flat and Butts (now with Qview!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaynik

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
Arnold, MD
It's been a long time since I posted anything on here, so I wanted to get something going.

I've never cooked, nor seen a bottom round flat, but it was only 1.59/lb, so I figured I'd give it a shot!  This is a big hunk of beef (10 lbs), so I'm planning a long smoke.  I have 23 pounds of meat bubbling away in there!

Beef prep:  keep it simple; kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper

Pork Prep:  store bought rub (time was an issue) and added some turbinado sugar

I had the smoker rolling by 6 am.  Too bad for my neighbors who slept with their windows open.  They first heard me tripping all over the yard setting up, then the smell of charcoal smoke rolling into their windows.  Oh well, I'm over it.  When did the sun start coming up so late anyhow?

I hope this adds up to a good labor day smoke.  Can't wait to eat!

23 pounds of meat - sounds like a lot of good food!!

wish i had a neighbor that smoked .

that would be a good smell to wake up too

The guy across the street from me loves it when mine are going

Sounds like a fine smoker load of goodies.  Remember the rules of qview?  No pics, never happened.
biggrin.gif

I hope it all comes out ok.  Honestly, I hoped to have some of the beef for chili during football/hockey season, so if it's tough, that's ok with me!  I didn't get any pictures this morning in my haste, but yes indeed, I remember the rules.  :-) (see below)  Oh, you'll notice I had a couple anaheim chilis that I threw on there.  Pulled them off the plant because they were starting to turn.

About the avatar, not sure where that picture came from.  Not my fish for sure.  It might be a default.  I haven't been on here since the forums changed over from the previous version.

c35e1695_beefandbutts.jpg

Ok, bottom line on this is that I finished everything just fine.  I had to pull one of the butts too early so that I could serve and control the crowd, etc.  It was a little tough and didn't pull easy, but tasty.  The second I stashed in a crock pot and let it finish up until it was like butter.  That is what I'm used to.

The beef was tasty, but tough.  Definitely a chili cut.  I cubed it up and put it in freezer bags.  It will make great chili.

OK, so I'm a rookie from Pennsylvania, but I thought I'd chime in on this one...
A good friend has a substantial pit beef operation and I asked him onetime which cut of meat he uses. He told me "bottom flat". I had never heard of this but thought I'd give it a try. At under $3/lb. I couldn't go too far wrong. Got a 14 pounder at the local butcher shop and cut it in half. Then I got online to look for help. Nothin' but bad vibes there..."too lean for a smoker"..."dries out"..."no flavor"..."tough as nails"...and on and on. I thought.."uh,oh"! Then I got to thinkin', any piece of meat is worth a good shot at BBQ, so I trudged on. Here's what I did:
There was NO Fat, so didn't have to trim it.
Injected a whole can of beef broth throughout the roast.
rubbed it first with some good olive oil, then with my "secret dry rub".
Brought the smoker up to 220 degrees with some applewood chunks.
Set the roast in a pan with 1/2" of water and chopped garlic.
Smoked it for 2 hours @ 220 and flipped it over once.
Took it off @ 140 degrees internal and let it rest for 45 minutes. It was nice and pink throughout.
Sliced it real thin.
My wife and I ate almost the whole thing that same day! We couldn't stop pickin' at it. Now, I do one every now and then and make a meal out of it, then use it all week for packed lunch sammiches.

In my opinion....cheap...quick...very tasty...tender.
icon_profile.gif
icon_pm.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky