Boston Butt Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bosox20

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Pa
Hey Guys,

well, this weekend I want to try to smoke a Boston Butt for some pulled pork sandwiches.. I have never done one yet.  my question is this, after the IT hits 160, some say to pull it out and wrap in foil and continue smoke until 180-190.  other say to just leave it in until desired temp.  Any thoughts on best way?

Also, I was told to spray the butt every half hour with a mixture of apple juice and olive oil?  does that sound right?

I sometimes foil mine at about 165* but recently let mine just do it's thing.  Will get a better bark if you dont foil mid way.  Foiling will soften the bark....but help push thru a stall if you have one. I leave mine in the smoker until it's between 195-200* then foil/wrap in towels and pop into a cooler for a few hours.

Dont know about the olive oil....but I do spritz with apple juice....just remember everytime you open that door....you let the heat and smoke out....will take longer to cook the meat.

Kat

I've done 2 butts, one for pulling and one for slicing, haven't foiled either and they've turned out great with a nice bark. If you're not looking for a crispy crunchy bark a foil will help it cook faster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hey Guys,

well, this weekend I want to try to smoke a Boston Butt for some pulled pork sandwiches.. I have never done one yet.  my question is this, after the IT hits 160, some say to pull it out and wrap in foil and continue smoke until 180-190.  other say to just leave it in until desired temp.  Any thoughts on best way?

Also, I was told to spray the butt every half hour with a mixture of apple juice and olive oil?  does that sound right?
180°-190° will not be pulled it will be sliced. You will need to go to 200°-205° for pulled. I don't foil till i remove it form the smoker. Sometimes i use just a towel as to keep all of the great bark. Happy smoken.

David

Yup you got solid advice from everyone. I don't foil either - I like the bark too much
biggrin.gif
  What smoker are you using?

You have good advice. At 225-250*F you can figure 2 hours/Lb, 250-275*F, 1.5 hours/Lb and 275-300*F about 1 hour/Lb fo cook time. A Finishing Sauce is nice too. It adds flavor and moistness. Try one of these...JJ

Foiling Juice

For each Rack of Ribs Combine:

1T Pork Rub, yours

1/2 Stick Butter

1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey

1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice

1T Molasses

Optional:

2T Vinegar, 2T Mustard and 1/4C Ketchup to make it more KC Style.

Simmer 5-10 minutes until syrupy consistency.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes, pour over foiled Ribs and

run your 2 hour phase of 3-2-1. For the last phase return

the ribs to the smoker BUT reserve any Juice remaining

in the Foil. Simmer the Juice over med/low heat to reduce to a saucy thickness. Glaze the Ribs for presentation or service.

For a Sweet Finishing Sauce for Pulled Pork:  Make a Double batch, Butter optional or do as I do...Use the Smoked Pork Fat from the drip pan...

Add 1/2 the batch to the Foil Pack or place it in a Pan with your Butt, when the IT hits 165*F.

Cover the pan with foil and continue to heat to 205*F for pulling.

At 205* rest or hold the Butt in a cooler wrapped in towels until ready to serve.

Pull the Pork and place it back in the pan with the pan Juices and any additional reserved Foiling Juice to moisten and Serve...OR... Bag and refrigerate until needed.

When re-heating place the Pulled Pork in a Pan or Crockpot and add reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider, as needed to make up the Juice that was absorbed while  the pork was refrigerated. Cover and re-heat in a pre-heated 325-350*F oven or on High in the crockpot to 165*F and Serve.

Note: the addition of the reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider should make the PP moist but not Swimming.

I was AMAZED...No additional sauce needed. Thanks for the inquiries, ENJOY..

For a Tangy Vinegar based Finishing sauce, this is a great one...

JJ's Finishing Sauce

2C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. Let rest, at room temp, 30 minutes for the flavors to meld together.

Wow. Thanks everyone great advice. I had no idea I had to go to such a high IT for pulled. I think I won't foil. In want a nice bark. Smoking B I am using a MES 30 first edition.

Wow. Thanks everyone great advice. I had no idea I had to go to such a high IT for pulled. I think I won't foil. In want a nice bark. Smoking B I am using a MES 30 first edition.
I use a 30 as well. Here are a couple butts I did in mine if it's any help at all http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/135018/smoke-for-tomorrows-meal-mes-30-amnps

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/133614/smoking-a-chunk-of-pork-for-the-evening-meal-mes-30-amnps

Any questions just ask 
beercheer.gif

Thanks ! So I'm looking at your pics. What does the salt do? And you don't put water in the pan at all?

Thanks ! So I'm looking at your pics. What does the salt do? And you don't put water in the pan at all?
You're quite welcome 
beercheer.gif
  The salt is just in there to get smoked - I love smoked salt!! It tastes great 
biggrin.gif
   & no I don't use water in the pan at all - dry chamber for me 
thumb1.gif

Water will only heat to 212* then it evaporates & changes the thermal mass in your water pan - if you fill it with play sand instead it will stay the same thermal mass no matter what temp the smoker is running at & help control temperature fluctuations much better...

Just plan on starting early if you don't foil. Butts are one of the simplest meats to smoke. You'll do great.

I've smoked three butts. I had a strange experience with the last two I smoked at the same time. First of all I inject mine with Cajun Butter, they turned out delicious. But what happened was, I started at 240, cooked them for several hours, planning to take them to 195. I hit a stall at about 160 and waited for an hour until they hit 168. Thirty minutes later they dropped to 154, I had to take them to a party, so I ran the temp all the way 250, and thirty minutes later they were at 151. Puzzled, I opened the door to the smoker and the shelf was warm to the touch yet the little computer still said 250. My smoker had died. So I wrapped them both in foil and towels and let them sit for another hour. When I opened one up, I was shocked. It was done all the way through, and not only that, I was able to pull it apart, although not as easy as it should have been, but at least it pulled, and they were pretty juicy. My guest ate everything but the bone. The next day I sliced the other one and put them in vacuum packed bags and froze them. After thawing them in the bags in boiling water it was every but as good as two days before.

I took the old Masterbuilt out of service and bought me a new smoker. Not a Masterbuilt, because that's the second time I had had trouble with in the three years.

All in all, it proves a good butt can't be ruined no matter how hard you try.

I got a smaller butt. It's 5.5lbs. Should I figure about 1 hour per pound?

I have always smoked butts with just a dry rub (garlic powder, black pepper, brown sugar), at 225 till it reached an internal temp of 190/195. No spritzing with juice, or wrapping in foil or use of a water pan.  I don't even open the door till it is finished.  Terrific bark. Then is goes into a large lidded pot for 30 minutes (or longer) with the bone removed, then shredded and the eating begins.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks. And is it a good idea to apply my rub and have it sit in fridge all night or just apply rub tomorrow?

Ok. Thanks. And is it a good idea to apply my rub and have it sit in fridge all night or just apply rub tomorrow?
That's a big discussion right there. Some swear by rubbing a butt the night before, others say it doesn't matter and to rub it when you take it out while waiting for your coals to get hot. The only way for you to decide is to do both and see what you like best.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I always rub my butt or shoulders the night before.

It seems to melt down some and get into the meat better.

Just my 2 cents thou.

Thanks for your opinion. I decided not too because I am using an injection. Also because I'm tired and going to bed [emoji]128516[/emoji]. I will post pics of my progress tomorrow if anyone is interested.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky