Book recommendation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

halleoneagain

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 20, 2022
Eastern Washington
I have the Sausage and Jerky Handbook by Eldon Cutlip and would like a second book that goes a little more in depth on the actual process and how to make sure I'm staying safe. Cutlip also has the Sausage and Jerky Makers Bible and it's a much larger volume. Then there are a couple of Marianski books. Does anyone have a favorite book they use, and why do you like it? Thanks a bunch for any help/input.

Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Stanley Marianski is the gold standard of curing safety, the how’s and why’s of curing meats and making sausage. Very comprehensive book about curing and methods, smoking, cure safety, bacteria, good and bad, whole muscle curing, head cheese making, smokehouse construction etc….. Really “the” must have book for anyone curing or preserving meats. Even covers safe canning procedures.

If you are specifically into Polish style sausage, he has a book dedicated to that specific style, Spanish as well, even fermented meats and sausages. Marianski is a must have.

Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Stanley Marianski is the gold standard of curing safety, the how’s and why’s of curing meats and making sausage. Very comprehensive book about curing and methods, smoking, cure safety, bacteria, good and bad, whole muscle curing, head cheese making, smokehouse construction etc….. Really “the” must have book for anyone curing or preserving meats. Even covers safe canning procedures.

If you are specifically into Polish style sausage, he has a book dedicated to that specific style, Spanish as well, even fermented meats and sausages. Marianski is a must have.
^^^^^^
This! There is a wealth of information in this book, and it's written in such a way that is fairly easy to understand while still covering everything in depth.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
It sounds like Marianski gets the votes, so Marianski it will be. Thank you all for your input, much appreciated.

Oops, one more question. Are the recipes in this book small batch, or more the 10-25 pound (and up) range? Small batch is definitely good for me....

Are the recipes in this book small batch,
One of the things I like the most about the Marianski book , is that the formulas are for 1000 grams or 2.2 pounds . I use them in 2 1/2 pound batches .
I have 2 of his books , but don't use them much because it's easier to get on the website . It's nice to have the books on hand though . I have the quality meats and sausage book , and the German sausage book .
I've made several of his recipes .

Last edited:
One of the things I like the most about the Marianski book , is that the formulas are for 1000 grams or 2.2 pounds . I use them in 2 1/2 pound batches .
I have 2 of his books , but don't use them much because it's easier to get on the website . It's nice to have the books on hand though . I have the quality meats and sausage book , and the German sausage book .
how do you like his german sausage book, i have been thinking of getting that one?

how do you like his german sausage book,
It's good . I use most of it as an idea , then form my opinion and knowledge from hands on more so than reading .
I put one of the titles on my Christmas list each year .

Reactions: daveomak
+1. Home Production/the green book reads like college text and a little overwhelming at first but if you stick with it, eventually it will click and you will be beyond the average hobbyist. IE metric. I was like WTF at first. Now, it's the only way and I pretty much pass on any recipe not in metric.

IMO the german book is killer but I think it presumes you own and know the green book basics. I am constantly going back to the green book. Nuggets of stuff in there. That being said, chopsaw chopsaw is right. There is still lots you have to learn hands on and not in the book. Asking Santa for his polish this year LOL.

Omigosh Chopsaw, you just made my day! 2.2 pound batches are just perfect for me and the website link you sent is a real gem. Thank you, to say the least.

Reactions: chopsaw
+1. Home Production/the green book reads like college text and a little overwhelming at first but if you stick with it, eventually it will click and you will be beyond the average hobbyist. IE metric. I was like WTF at first. Now, it's the only way and I pretty much pass on any recipe not in metric.

IMO the german book is killer but I think it presumes you own and know the green book basics. I am constantly going back to the green book. Nuggets of stuff in there. That being said, chopsaw chopsaw is right. There is still lots you have to learn hands on and not in the book. Asking Santa for his polish this year LOL.
I think I won't wait for Santa, I'll just buy the green book and be done with it. It ought to give me something to read at night instead of staring blankly at the TV. Thanks for the input.

2.2 pound batches are just perfect
Yup . I also base all my salt percentage from his formulas . It's perfect for my taste .
I like to use the cloth bags for summer sausage type stuff , and they hold 2 1/2 pounds .
The reason I joined here was to learn about sausage making . Great info from some of the guys . Even just reading their old posts . Look at what they do and ask yourself why they did it that way . Don't be afraid to ask a question , but finding that answer yourself is a great way to learn in my opinion .

I like We got the German last year . Lol .
Never noticed it until recently but he has a kraut/kimchi book... The kraut recipes I see online and in books are very weak.

I think I won't wait for Santa, I'll just buy the green book and be done with it. It ought to give me something to read at night instead of staring blankly at the TV. Thanks for the input.
I think you will like it. It might be too intense for some guys who just want to drink beer and make deer sausage but not me. Joined here to learn how to smoke turkey. Thought the guys making sausage and curing their own hams here were kinda crazy. Fast forward a few years and I am making sausage, hams, and all sorts of stuff I never imagined I would. All that said, the green book is not perfect. IE it might say smoke until 165F IT but it does NOT tell you that it might take 12-16hrs to reach that... LOL.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky