Boneless Pork Shoulder Picnic Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Picked up 2 Boneless Pork Shoulder Picnic Roasts at the commissary today, that I want to cure into "Ham"

I have done this before, using Pop's Brine with some cloves, pickling spice etc.

Read the packaging, and realized it said "Contains up to an 8% solution of water and salt."

I normally uses between 1/2 and 2/3 a cup of Kosher Salt in Pop's Brine...

Any of you experts have any recommendations on how much salt I should add to my brine, taking into account there is already some salt in the product?

Both roasts weigh around 4 pounds, and I was planning on injecting them as well, to shorten the time in the brine.

Advice/comments appreciated.
ham.jpg
ham1.jpg
ham1.jpg

I believe pops brine uses the equilibrium method that allows only so much brine to enter the meat. It’s been along day so hopefully someone smarter than me will be along shortly

Reactions: bill ace 350
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky