Boneless Pork Shoulder Butt Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jtowner0512

Original poster
Jul 5, 2020
Hi Everyone -

in my infinite wisdom I purchased 3 boneless pork shoulder butt roasts. I typically only smoke bone-in butts. Can anyone give me a breakdown of the differences I can expect to see as well as some tips as to their process or experience? kinda frustrated and stressing that this may mess up my plan for this weekend.

Really not much difference at all. You might want to tie it up with some butcher twine to keep it together, but other than that just use your standard game plan.

Really not much difference at all. You might want to tie it up with some butcher twine to keep it together, but other than that just use your standard game plan.
Same time per lb as id expect? It’s an 8 lb boneless so a bit more meat to it.

The main differences when cooking a boneless butt is that:
1. They take more time to inject because sometimes the butt will almost be filleted in two.
2. The three horn muscles which surround the blade bone don't seem to get quite as tender (the soft sticky level of tenderness) as when cooking with the bone.
3. It's easy to loose your point of reference when breaking down the finished butt.
4. An advantage is that you can get some rub into the slit where the blade bone was.

This cross section might help visualize the location of the various muscle groups. The money muscle, tubes and horn muscles are the better muscles as far as flavor and tenderness, and you can keep them in chunks or plugs of meat. The meat from the loin is more pale and comes apart in strands. It's the blandest of all the muscles.
VCND3PS.jpg

The main differences when cooking a boneless butt is that:
1. They take more time to inject because sometimes the butt will almost be filleted in two.
2. The three horn muscles which surround the blade bone don't seem to get quite as tender (the soft sticky level of tenderness) as when cooking with the bone.
3. It's easy to loose your point of reference when breaking down the finished butt.
4. An advantage is that you can get some rub into the slit where the blade bone was.

This cross section might help visualize the location of the various muscle groups. The money muscle, tubes and horn muscles are the better muscles as far as flavor and tenderness, and you can keep them in chunks or plugs of meat. The meat from the loin is more pale and comes apart in strands. It's the blandest of all the muscles.
View attachment 453417
Wow thank you for this! This is perfect.

You might want to tie it up with some butcher twine to keep it together, but other than that just use your standard game plan.
like that! tie them tight - as they render they will look less tight. I did the same thank last fall at Costco - not sure they even had bone in, got home and was like whhaat now. they cook up great. dont sweat it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky