Boneless Country Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rfwoodvt

Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
I have a couple of hindquarters coming but unfortunately they've been skinned and boned. Still, I'd like to try my hand at a country ham with them.

Is there anything I should consider since there is no skin or bone to contend with? Any particular tricks, techniques or compensation in methodology I should consider?

Any boneless product has exposed the "sterile" center portion of the ham to a lot of bacteria... I'm not sure how you will proceed with making a country ham....

It takes a considerable skill to make a boneless ham. Bones must be removed and the lean muscles must be carved out with the minimum damage.
Lacing ham. Large muscles must be laced tight with butcher’s twine, otherwise poor bond will be created.
Smoked boneless ham. It can be seen how hard the ham was laced up.

2019-12-06.png

Marianski, Stanley. Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages (Kindle Locations 11972-11973). Bookmagic LLC. Kindle Edition.

It's my opinion, the ham must be injected with the curing solution due to the introduction of bacteria and what ever else came in contact with the meat....

I can help you with calculating the necessary ingredients to make a great injected ham...

For a country ham, you will need a natural fresh leg of pig....

May I recommend you obtain the Kindle edition of Marianski's book....

Marianski 1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky