Bone in brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

toolbox875

Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Hi all,
Looking for information on the best way to smoke an untrimmed ,bone in brisket that weights 27lbs.

Pretty much like any whole Brisket. Trim as desired, season, as simple as SPOG Salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, or other and Smoke Low and Slow. 200 to 225 until the Internal Temp (IT) reaches 195+/- ...AND...A probe slides in with no resistance indicating it is tender but not falling apart. You can " estimate " the time at 1.5 hours per pound. You can smoke start to finish unwrapped for lots of smoke and a heavy bark. Or wrap in Foil, Butcher Paper, or place in a foil covered Pan, with some Beef Broth, when the IT hits 160, about 5 hours or so in. You can continue in the smoker or move to a 300°F Oven to finish the cook to the specs above. Using the Oven to finish will save time...JJ 

One of the Hot and Fast guys should be by with a quicker method...That is a lot of meat...

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Just so everyone to get a size comparison.

The brisket on the right is about 15 lbs. and the one on the left is the 27 lbs bone brisket

Where did you find a bone in brisket? Did you have your own cow butchered?

I dropped by a local meat wholesaler where I get my normal cryo briskets and pork butts. He ask if I wanted to try a bone in brisket ? I never saw anything like this and after doing a little bit of research , why not. It was less than half of the price of a cryo choice brisket.

The only web research I found was an article on Texas Monthly BBQ , which the author smoked a dry aged bone in brisket. See link
http://www.tmbbq.com/bbq-anatomy-101-bone-in-brisket/

I dilemma is to find a big enough smoker to BBQ it.

Yeah, bone in briskets haven't been a thing since...the 30s? 40s maybe?

It looks huge, like a big shoulder clod. Let us know how it turns out.

One of the Hot and Fast guys should be by with a quicker method...That is a lot of meat...
Lol even hot and fast that thing will take FOREVER to cook right. I'd estimate at least 20 hours even at the 275-300 range. Probably a whole 24 hours, or more, at a more traditional 225 range. I think it would almost have to be wrapped to keep the exterior from drying out too much.

On the other hand...the bone may help it cook, like the bone in a pork butt.

Toolbox, Where on this brisket is the bone located? Is it on the bottom under the flat? Or is it between the muscles?

Take some good pics of it. I am interested in seeing more of it before it is cooked and after it is trimmed. I'd like to get a good lay of the land, so to speak.

Lol even hot and fast that thing will take FOREVER to cook right. I'd estimate at least 20 hours even at the 275-300 range. Probably a whole 24 hours, or more, at a more traditional 225 range. I think it would almost have to be wrapped to keep the exterior from drying out too much.

On the other hand...the bone may help it cook, like the bone in a pork butt.

Toolbox, Where on this brisket is the bone located? Is it on the bottom under the flat? Or is it between the muscles?

Take some good pics of it. I am interested in seeing more of it before it is cooked and after it is trimmed. I'd like to get a good lay of the land, so to speak.

The bone is located on the bottom right of the brisket and you are correct it on the flat side. It is in the freezer now . Waiting on my Cajun bandit stacker (kettle)to come as it will not fit my WSM 18.5.

I will try to detail as much photos as I can.

Ok folks. Overnight smoked Thursday night to Friday morning. Outside temp was in the low 30s in NYC. Using a Weber kettle with a Cajun bandit attachment. It kept at 240-250 degrees the whole night. Pulled the meet out at 160 degrees internal temp. The it was wrapped in butcher paper and oven finished. Total cook time was about 14 hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky