Bone in brisket on the smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
Started a bone in brisket at my dad's house this morning.
Seasoned with SPOG rested in the fridge for 36 hours. Figured with the bones on one side, some time for the seasoning to penetrate wouldn't hurt.
PXL_20221209_151056501.jpg

PXL_20221209_164427581.jpg

Started it on the ok joe my dad inherited from me. 300 for about 3 hours with pecan wood to get some smoke. Then in the traeger @ 225.
PXL_20221209_183959835.jpg

Plan of to eat lunch tomorrow.

Current IT is 175.
Plan to wrap at 190 and hold at 200 in the traeger overnight. In the morning I'll prove for tenderness and hopefully move to the warmer to rest until lunch.

Attachments

• PXL_20221209_221020783.jpg
    PXL_20221209_221020783.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 9
You have a picture showing the bone? Never seen one before.
Also, is that a pyrenees puppy in your avatar?
I'll take a picture showing the ribs when it's done. Forget this morning. The ribs are very wide with nearly no meat in between.
And yes! That's our Willow. That is an old picture, she is expecting babies any day now!

Looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Wow. I learned something new on this one. I’d never heard of Bone in Brisket so I looked this up:
How did you end up with that?

Looks delicious, does the bone gain you anything? Any sliced pictures?

Reactions: jcam222
Ha!
Well that plan didn't work. Brisket was at 186 when we were going to bed around 10 pm. Put in the oven @210 figuring it would coast to tender. Woke up and oven was @ 210 but brisket IT dropped to 180.
Cranked oven to get IT up to 200 and now going out gets tender before we have to leave for graduation ceremony. Lunch is expected to be right after graduation, so it needs to be resting before we leave.

The only videos I found about bone in brisket said it took a long time, and they were right... This is only about 9 lbs (was from a small heffer) so I figured it would be faster, but we are coming up on 24 hours of cooking...

Wow. I learned something new on this one. I’d never heard of Bone in Brisket so I looked this up:

We butcher 2 cows with a family friend each year. Decided to leave the bones in one last year because the boned brisket was only about 5 lbs.

Still waiting for the ceremony to end, but have a baby sleeping on my while I drink a beer. Had a minute to read the article, was an interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

Reactions: bauchjw
For anyone interested in anatomy of cuts, this video isnt a helpful how to, he makes it look impossibly easy. But it's a great intro to where your favorite (and least favorite) cuts come from.

Reactions: ronf and jcam222
Well for all of that, it ended up over done.
I need to change up my method of probing because through butcher paper, I can't tell how tender it is, vs what resistance is the paper.
PXL_20221210_203634826.jpg

It was tender and moist enough, but a little crumbly. I thought I'd separate the bones from the brisket, but it feel off the bones.
PXL_20221210_203705406.jpg

PXL_20221210_203851639.jpg

The texture was moist and tender, but not juicy. Since the cow was so small, it was very lean, even the point (which was very thin anyways). I didn't trim any fat cap off.
PXL_20221210_204145438.MP.jpg

But it was edible, nearly demolished.
PXL_20221210_221843492.jpg

My take on the bone in brisket is similar to the article posted be bauchjw bauchjw . Fun novelty, but there is a reason the boneless brisket is ubiquitous.

Reactions: bauchjw and jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky