Boar loin, photo essay

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
northern NJ
DSCF3627.JPG

DSCF3626.JPG

DSCF3628.JPG

DSCF3630.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF3632.JPG
    DSCF3632.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF3631.JPG
    DSCF3631.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 20
Those look like what we called the "hog tenders", cut from the inside of the rib cavity after the hog was gutted, get about a pound of meat from a 300lb boar. We'd marinate them in teriyaki at 90 seconds a side over red hot coals, best part of the pig, a real delicacy. RAY
DSCN0856.JPG

Last edited:
They are kind of weird in a way. It's not an organ, yet it's meat that isn't attached to a bone, it's taken out by cutting around a layer of skin on the inside of the rib cavity. Don't overcook them, they're just about fork tender, and delicious! We always wondered what they'd sell for, if they could even be bought. I whacked right about 70 wild hogs in my hunting career, my partner about 50. Not every wild hog had tenders, the ones that did, they were on a dinner plate that night. RAY

Reactions: Sven Svensson
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky