Blueberry ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BigTurtle

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
IMG_20190511_192336834.jpg
Blueberry Buckle in cast iron. Recipes are on line.

Reactions: smokerjim
looks delicious, got to love blueberries, hope my bushes produce this year, last year wasn't to good of a year'

Is your soil acidic enough? Blueberries love acidic soil, which is why grow in pine/spruce forest and rarely in hardwood stands.
not sure of the acidic levels, will have to check maybe that's the problem I was blaming the wet year we had last year

Blueberries are finicky, at least the wild ones. One year a bumper crop, the next not so good. My theory is with the flowers, a late frost or lack of pollination but it’s only a theory.

Last edited:
It's like spending a couple hundred bucks to grow tomatoes when buying them at the farmers market is cheaper. My bulueberries are of the wild variety, smaller with great flavor, frozen and in my grocers freezer from Maine.
i've been telling the wife that, why plant a garden in the long run and the hassle of taking care of it, just go to the farmers market. I still like messing around with my fruit trees and bushes though.

i've been telling the wife that, why plant a garden in the long run and the hassle of taking care of it, just go to the farmers market. I still like messing around with my fruit trees and bushes though

Last edited:
If you love blueberries give loganberries a try. (Think blueberries on steroids). I use to get loganberry pies from a place on Whitby Island, Washington - AWESOME!!!

i've been telling the wife that, why plant a garden in the long run and the hassle of taking care of it, just go to the farmers market. I still like messing around with my fruit trees and bushes though.
Best blueberries I've found have been wild ground spreading, from areas that were once filled with pine trees and have had recent forest fires. Hybridized, bush plants seem to have been hybridized to produce big berries with little flavor. Same thing with wild vs hybridized strawberries (IMO).

Best blueberries I've found have been wild ground spreading, from areas that were once filled with pine trees and have had recent forest fires. Hybridized, bush plants seem to have been hybridized to produce big berries with little flavor. Same thing with wild vs hybridized strawberries (IMO).
Cutblocks are another one of my favourite places to pick blueberries.

I wish............

Attachments

• IMG_20190511_191559915.jpg
    IMG_20190511_191559915.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky