Blueberry Syrup Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Got a pretty good deal on a pork belly 10 days ago. Had it in the fridge curing for 9 days in a maple sugar brine and smoking today. These pork bellies come with the rib meat still attached which is a extra bonus. This will be double smoked bacon. Near the end I will brush on some Blueberry syrup so I guess you can call it blueberry bacon. Bringing the IT to only 138-142°F as I don't want it fully cooked like ham. After its smoked it will rest in the fridge over night and on to my meat slicer to be vac sealed.

Sitting in the fridge over night to dry off and the smoke will stick to it better.
zr1Cz5M.jpg

In the smoker and getting its first round of smoke.
AaYZ7En.jpg

A couple of hours later starting to get some color.
ZO2i82r.jpg

A couple more hours later
2U0zvse.jpg

Getting the last couple of smoke after the Blueberry syrup brushing.
754M5Xk.jpg
nEXnKmJ.jpg

Well that took longer then I expected but the end product sure looks good. Now back in the fridge to stiffen up and sometime tomorrow onto the meat slicer.
Za5og7p.jpg

Cut one in half this morning and sliced off a test strip. Fried it up in the CI pan. There was a hint of the blueberry favor but it was also sweet. Soaked them in fresh water for 3 hours before smoking but it was still a tad on the salty side. Might be I have cut down on salt and it seemed a little salty to me.
Now to get motivated to slice the rest up.
5isAlVc.jpg
bIr6e5Y.jpg

Got about 10 lbs of belly Saturday that I'm gonna get into cure tonight for bacon. Hope my turns out as good looking as yours.
Jim

Reactions: KBFlyer
Got about 10 lbs of belly Saturday that I'm gonna get into cure tonight for bacon. Hope my turns out as good looking as yours.
Jim
What recipe are you following? Over the years I have found one of the biggest mistake people make is applying to much heat from the very start. Also I found after the cure process and your satisfied of the rinse process to get rid of the salt taste to an expectable level leave the belly's to air dry uncovered in the refrigerator overnight (12 – 24 hours). This helps with the smoke sticking to the meat. I usually start at 120° F for the first few hours and apply smoke. I find people forget that smoking meat is meant to be LOW & SLOW so don't rush it.
I like lots of smoke so my bellies will get about 3-5 hours of smoke. I try for a finished internal temp of 130-140° F but sometimes go over. Pretty hard to screw up bacon. LOL

Reactions: JLeonard
KBFlyer KBFlyer just the basic recipe from Digging Dog. Salt, pepper, cure, sugar. And I do pretty much like you. Follow the same plan.
Jim

I tried to lick the screen on my laptop, so I'd say it looks pretty tasty!......

Reactions: KBFlyer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky