Blender

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The last time I bought a blender was around 10 years ago and I had narrowed my choices to Blendtec and Vitamix. I read a number of comparison reviews with similar results. Vitamix would be marginally better in one area, and Blendtec would be marginally better in another. Also, both were similar in price at around $500. Speaking to a few friends that are professional chefs, they gave a slight edge to Blendtec , especially in the category of long term durabiity. One friend, who owns a very high volume Mexican restaurant that easily prepares hundreds of frozen Margaritas daily from scratch uses 3 Blendtecs exclusively.

Also, the quality of the build construction seemed to me to be a bit stronger than Vitamix and, as I recall, the peak horsepower of the Blendtec was 3 HP compared to Vitamix at 2.2 HP.

In addition, I preferred Blendtec's interface, 10 presets, plus a customizable option, and 10 year warranty.

I was still undecided abut the purchase when I got an email from Blendtec regarding a seasonal sale and the unit I was considering was reduced to $375. Done deal!

It's still used daily in our house, often multiple times, and still runs like it did on day 1.
Which model do you have? I've been on their website and all of their blender motors are listed as watts now, not horsepower, unless I'm not looking at the correct one. Seems now that their most powerful is 1800 watts.

Which model do you have? I've been on their website and all of their blender motors are listed as watts now, not horsepower, unless I'm not looking at the correct one. Seems now that their most powerful is 1800 watts.

GonnaSmoke,

I don't remember the model number and I'm in my office now so I'll check when I get home. Also, I bought the blender quite some time ago and doubt that the same model is currently available. I'll check the Blendtec website to see if it is or if they offer something comparable.

The 3 hp is what the unit's peak hp is versus the operating hp. Peak hp is what initially kicks in until what you're blending breaks down somewhat, then then it drops down to the operating hp. as it continues. If you're blending something like ice cubes the distinction is important. If it's something like soft bananas, it's not. Also, on my unit, depending on what blending mode has been selected, it will cycle back and forth.

Blendtec's website used to show both peak and operating hp, but I don't know if they still do so. If they're showing only wattage, then my guess would be that would be converted to operating hp.

To do the conversion, simply divide the wattage by 745.6. As such, 1800 watts would be approximately 2.4 hp, which I assume would be operating hp. Inversely, 3 hp peak hp converted is 2237 watts.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I have the Ninja Chef High-Speed Blender 1500 watts and love it. Nothing it wont do. Frozen drinks perfectly smooth. Makes flour from grain and on and on! Works great on the presets. Speeds up, slows down and turns off and on during the cycles. I was able to find on sale for $99

71W6dUNufnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: forktender
OMG I have a 30+ year old Osterizer. I actually bought parts for not that long ago too. Wish stuff was made like that still...kinda like my Kenmore washer and dryer 20+ and still cruzin.

Good luck on finding a good one. Looks like Oster is still making blenders...a little spendy i guess but
Agree. Ours is 35 years old and still going strong.

That's interesting, noboundaries. When I got my Blendtec it came with both the Wildside cup and the Standard cup, which was used about 75% of the time. After about 8 years of pretty heavy use, something on the Regular cup went and all the blade would do is wobble in it's fitting. I contacted Blendtec and they replaced

My set came the same way. Bought it at Costco and it came with the regular and Wildside jar. Soon after the first purchase I bought the Twister jar.

The regular jar had the same type of failure as yours. They did replace the first failed jar under warranty, but it included a rudely worded letter implying improper care and usage. I found their response weird given the reputation of people in the area where the company is located. I never washed the jars in the dishwasher and only used enough pressure on the top of the jar to keep the unit from walking on the counter when making smoothies, ice shakes, etc.

The replacement jar had a different grommet/blade construction. It failed, too and I thought it wrecked the blender due to the horrendous noises the base was making. I just tossed the jar and did not seek a replacement given the letter from the first failure.

I still use the Twister jar regularly for making spreadable butter and nut butters. The Wildside gets used as needed, mostly for smoothies, sauces, blended drinks and frozen banana ice shakes. The good news is I have three lids that fit the Wildside jar! The bad news is should the blender or remaining jars fail, I'll probably spend my money elsewhere.
20210308_154856.jpg

OMG I have a 30+ year old Osterizer.

That is awesome!

I have my mother's Osterizer that my dad bought for her in 1967.Still works like a charm,there's NOTHING made like this unit in this day and age.There's no Vitamix or Ninja that can even compare.

Reactions: sandyut
The old Osterizers are pretty bullet proof and you can find them in thrift stores when Grandma's stuff gets given away. The newer ones aren't bad but the digital displays, controls, etc can fail. But even then, Oster has a repair service where you ship them the broken one and you get yours back a month later repaired for ~$40...more than the thrift store price, but a bit cheaper than a competitor's new price...and it's a practice that's rare for modern consumer goods. (Or at least they still did this ~5 years ago. )

Quality $200+ footwear typically allows you to send back shoes for a good re-sole job but that sort of service is a rarity in anything other than hand-made goods, which a sewn, corkbed shoe still is.

Have a B&D that works fair for some things, but starting into more smoothies and not getting good results, so just got a Vitamix E310. Still in box while finishing up some kitchen remodel. Seems to get good reviews, but far less $ than some other models ... should we have moved up chain or got a Blendtec?

GonnaSmoke,

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. Had to catch a flight to Miami yesterday for business and didn't return until earlier today.

On the front of my unit' base it says "Blendtec Total Blender" The tag on the bottom of the base says the same along with "Tom Dickson Model ES3" as well as "Watts: 1560" and "Peak HP: 3.0". FYI, Tom Dickson's the founder of Blendtec.

The preset buttons on the base are labeled as,
* Ice Cream, Frozen Yogurt
* Ice Crush, Milkshake
* Soups, Syrups, Fondues,
* Sauces, Dips, Dressings, Batters
* Whole Juice
* Smoothies

There's also a pulse control bottom as well as up/down buttons for 10-speed purely manual control.

Finally, there's a cycle usage counter screen of the front that currently shows 2,985 cycles since new.

By the model number alone, I'm inclined to thank that it may have been a one-time limited production run. But, that was about 10 years ago so I don't know that for certain. In any event, that model, not surprisingly, is no longer offered.

The only blender on Blendtec's website that looks somewhat comparable to my unit is their "Total Blender Classic" which, with the 90 oz. Wildfire+ jar, retails for $399.99. They also offer it refurbished for $279.95 but the warranty drops from 8 years to 3 years.

Amazon offers it new at $335.81 with the standard 75 oz. 4-sided jar and Costco has it with the Wildside+ jar along with the 37 oz. Twister jar for $365.75. Note that the cup capacities shown are their maximum capacity, not the recommended capacity for blending.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonna Smoke
We have the Vitamix and an old Oster Bee Hive blender. Both are excellent for many tasks. The Oster will not handle everything the Vitamix does but is still a great machine.

Wife bought me a Ninja a couple years ago for Christmas. I thought it was frivolous but man oh man, I do love that thing. It's an amazing blender.

Robert
I was going to recommend the same Robert we absolutely love our Ninja.
It is a powerhouse that will plow through damn near anything you will ever toss into it.
It makes amazing fruit and veggie smoothies that everyone loves in our house.
But for me, it's the frozen margaritas that they kick out in the summer around the pool while the smoker is rolling coal into the neighbor's yard while I'm blasting the Allman Bro's or Ten Years After.

My Mom gave us this one as a gift and we love it X10.
Ninja, Auto-iQ, Kitchen System, 1200 Watts, BL910

(Just buy one you'll love it.)
Dan. 👍 🤙 :emoji_sunglasses:

Last edited:
We've had our Vitamix for about 10 years with no issues using it several times per week. They are expensive compared to others but IMO you get what you pay for. If mine died today I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Bought it at Costco during one of their "traveling shows" and got it for a good price. Also, it is the only blender that will also heat what is in the blender (I think). I can go from raw ingredients to hot soup in about 6 minutes with just the blender. Additionally, its been my experience that it does a better job of crushing ice more evenly than the Ninja, but that may be just me.

Was curious what you ended up with?
I haven't bought one yet. There are 3 companies that make blenders in America - Waring, Blendtec, and Vitamix. All 3 use global sourcing for the parts for those blenders, I'm thinking Chinese parts, but not sure. Waring has one with a 1H.P. motor.

Anyway, they're all quality machines that come with a premium price. I am leaning towards the Blendtec...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky