Blamestorming: Schnitzel, Taters, And Rosemary & Thyme Cream Gravy (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
In corporate America when group of people sit around and discuss ways to find fault in somebody else for their mistakes, it's called Blamestorming (or so I've heard). I tend to prefer calling it Plausible Deniability. That affords me the opportunity to do something weird and blame it on somebody else but be a bit more tactful in how the blame is placed. In this instance I blame Rich ( chopsaw chopsaw ) for the pork chops he recently posted. Those just looked too good not to make....so I did it, sort of. Side note though: the only reason I am posting this is because of the gravy. The meal itself was very good but oh man, that gravy!!

Got some asparagus in a CI skillet with butter, garlic, and a squirt of lime juice.
001.jpg

The gravy: butter and flour for the roux, veggie broth, a small amount of BTB veggie base, heavy cream, a small sprinkle of black pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Very simple. I did this in advance and turned the heat off before it reached the correct gravy consistency to give time for the flavors to develop. It does thicken up just sitting on the stove and I wound up needing to add another small splash of cream to thin it down a bit.
002.jpg

Two large center but pork chops pounded out.
003.jpg

Mashed potatoes....of course :emoji_wink:
004.jpg

The asparagus slowly getting happy.
005.jpg

Bread the chops: flour, egg wash, and then a 50/50 combo of regular bread crumbs and Panko. Into a hot skillet with oil.
006.jpg

Flip. Looking pretty good so far.
007.jpg

All plated up and ready to eat. A little gravy on the chops and a half gallon or so on the taters. Garnish the chops with some green onions and we're off to the races.
008.jpg

A couple things I learned from reading about Schnitzel. First it must be pounded thin, like 1/4" or so. Second important thing is the temp of the oil before dropping the chops in. It should be in the 350 degree range. These concepts are important to ensure that the pork is done inside but still tender and juicy and the breading is browned, crispy, but not over cooked. I followed these ideas and it was absolute perfection. The chops were simply delicious, but it was the gravy that truly made this meal. Rich, creamy, tasty, and almost verging on being elegant. It was OH SO good!! I've done a lot of adaptations of gray but this was a first and we both loved it. Man it was fantastic. I saved the rest of it and poured the stuff over an omelette the next morning for breakfast. All in all a very good meal that didn't require a lot of time and was a nice indoor cook. We had 4 days last week that the wind was insane which ruled out any ideas of being a patio chef for a few days.

Well I had to share and let Chop know that he did it again....the enabler that he is :emoji_laughing: Oh well, gotta go get some Sunday morning breakfast going then it's out to cut trees that were destroyed in the ice storm...oh joy. Y'all take care and I'll see everybody a bit later I hope.

Robert

Looks delicious Robert! When Rich did his, I didn't even know what schnitzel was lol! And you know me... anything in gravy is an absolute yes!

Ryan

That's one fine looking plate Robert, nice work! We love asparagus around these parts, nice technique and size on yours, got to give that a shot. RAY

In this instance I blame Rich
Thanks for the shout out . That all looks fantastic . I'd even try the asparagus .
Nailed that gravy too . I've been using potato starch to thicken .
: flour, egg wash, and then a 50/50 combo of regular bread crumbs and Panko.
That's the key thing people miss I think . Flour first , then egg is what makes it stick .
Nice job . I know this isn't your first rodeo , but simple old school hands on is were it's at for me . Really catches my attention .
Nice work Robert , right up my ally .

I've done a lot of adaptations of gray but this was a first
Try that sour cream and dill I did for the throw down .

Love it Robert! FYI we do Marsala with baby Bella’s over our schnitzel…..I have to ration it cause I would eat it ALL the time!

Nice work!

Can I come live with you in the winter?
My German wife doesn't like schnitzel, gravy, or mashed potatoes.
My Norwegian mother made them once in a while, but we just called them breaded pork chops.
I make pork stock and save rendered pork fat to make cream gravy. A must over taters when having chop, roast, side pork or any pork for that matter.
Scratch that request!
You serve those never to pass my lips green spears. I cannot stand asparagus.

Reactions: halleoneagain
Schnitzel for the win. Looks fabulous Robert.

Point for sure
Chris

That is an incredible meal! Like I told Rich, Schnitzel was our first wedding meal! We love it! That looks outstanding, I’m going to give that gravy a go!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky