Blackened Strip Loin Roast On The Rotisserie (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Long story behind me finally going ahead and ordering a case of strip loin roasts from Joe at CPB. I spent quite a while looking for a good product at a decent price to cut NY Strip steaks from without having to buy 50 pounds. Tried an online source I read about here and it was horrid. Worst cut of meat I've ever had. Then got a USDA Prime strip roast from Costco. Much better but still not up to what we're used to. Ate the last of those steaks a few weeks ago and Tracy said to get the ones from CPB, despite the quantity. Didn't have to tell me twice!! Placed the order and a few days later lo and behold, there were 4 gorgeous roasts sitting on my door step totaling 53 pounds. Cut up a bunch of steaks and kept a few as smaller roasts. This is one of those. After months of huge yard projects we decided to take a weekend off, invite a few friends, and put on a nice dinner.

Started Tuesday to dry brine the roast for 4 days with kosher salt. Roast is 4 1/2 pounds
000_Fotogenic.jpg

Friday I made a batch of sour cream and onion rolls. These are always a huge hit and I just warm them up in the microwave prior to serving dinner
001_Fotogenic.jpg

Time to start welcoming our guests. A recent craft project by Tracy
030_Fotogenic.jpg

The meat after 4 days in the fridge. I love the color of this thing
002_Fotogenic.jpg

Onto the spit and seasoned with Nat The Cat's dirt rub
004_Fotogenic.jpg

Got some loaded twice-baked potatoes ready
005_Fotogenic.jpg

Here's where things get fun. A huge pan full of baby Portabellas in a mushroom based cream sauce. In the pan with lots of butter. These were fantastic so gonna do some detail here
006_Fotogenic.jpg

Melt the butter and add some minced onion
007_Fotogenic.jpg

Dust with AP flour to create the roux
008_Fotogenic.jpg

Stir in the flour and add heavy cream and some vegetable broth
009_Fotogenic.jpg

Black pepper and Better Than Bouillon mushroom base. I just made this up on the fly and didn't measure anything.
010_Fotogenic.jpg

Time to get the roast going. Doing this on the Weber using the SnS but indirect heat
011_Fotogenic.jpg

Mushrooms done but gonna cover let them sit for a while to really pick up the flavor of the cream sauce
012_Fotogenic.jpg

Here we are about an hour in. IT already at 100 so cooking faster than I anticipated
014_Fotogenic.jpg

Taters on the grill
015_Fotogenic.jpg

Roast all done and into the house to get happy
016_Fotogenic.jpg

Sliced. Finally nailed that beautiful edge to edge pink that has eluded me for so long
017_Fotogenic.jpg

The whole spread. Meat, taters, rolls, mushrooms, some jus from the roast, and a nice salad that Rick and Susan brought
020_Fotogenic.jpg

My plate finally and alas. Shadows on the patio make it hard to get a good pic but it was a nice plate.
027_Fotogenic.jpg

And some goodies that Jodi made and brought as a dessert offering
028_Fotogenic.jpg

All in all I'd say this dinner was a success. The strip loin roasts from CPB are nothing short of incredible. Far and again the best beef we have ever had. As tender as the best tenderloin I've eaten but a much deeper, richer beef flavor. My target temp for the grill was 275 but apparently the rotisserie setup allows for a good deal of air intake. I had the bottom vent closed all the way and the top vent just barely opened and the lowest I could get was 315 degrees. The roast cooked in an hour and a half and was pulled at an IT of 128. Wrapped it real heavy with foil and placed it in the grill to keep warm till time to serve. Most times there's something with a meal like this that just doesn't meet expectations but not hi time. There's nothing about this one I'd change. As amazing as the meat was, I think the mushrooms stole the show. Those were a chart topper.

Well, this one has gone on long enough. If you made it all the way through, thank you for the patience :emoji_laughing: Gonna call this one a wrap and we'll see everybody on the next installment of "Robert's Tales From The Crypt". Stay safe and be well.

Robert

Last edited:
OMG you are killing me. Im gonna just need to move in over there and make sure this keeps happening.

Yes sir mr. Robert that meal looks amazing, looks like the mrs. Is pretty talented herself also!

Gorgeous looking plate Robert, I'd stand in line for hours to be sitting down to that meal! The shrooms really catch my eye, looks to be a real taste treat. RAY

Once again one of your posts has left me speechless with my mouth hanging open.
With all that wonderful food I don't know how anyone had room for dessert!
Dan

Alright Robert, that's it . You have to stay out of the pool. This is a killer meal.
And we can barely catch our breath from your last pool idea cook and than
you bring on this beautiful meal

Well done sir well done

Good thing we are not allowed across the boarder yet, or I would have my ticket and be knocking on your door for one of your meals,

David

Another great meal courtesy of CPB and your growing Talent...JJ

OMG you are killing me. Im gonna just need to move in over there and make sure this keeps happening.

Thanks Dave!! You know you're more than welcome so come on down!! The door is open as it always is. Heck, I don't even know if the locks work :emoji_laughing:

You killing me also! Another Great Meal!!! Your plating has been spot on.

Appreciate it Brian. You're close enough that you could drop by pretty much any time, and we have a big fenced yard for Gretchen to run around in.

Yes sir mr. Robert that meal looks amazing, looks like the mrs. Is pretty talented herself also!

Thanks so much Jim. Tracy got into crafting a few years ago and it's really evolved. We turned the spare bedroom / office into a craft room for her, got her a nice new sewing machine, a bunch of supplies, and she's in all her glory in there.

Robert

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Great looking meal Robert. The meat looks amazing.

Thanks so much Rob. I finally got one right after lots of attempts. Since the first time I saw a prime rib showcased by Bearcarver Bearcarver with the beautiful edge to edge pink I've been aspiring to nail one. Got it this time

Gorgeous looking plate Robert, I'd stand in line for hours to be sitting down to that meal! The shrooms really catch my eye, looks to be a real taste treat.

Very much appreciate the kind words my friend. I'd never make you stand in line though....unless I had a bottle of really good bourbon that you could entertain yourself with :emoji_wink:

Oh yeah! That looks delicious!

Thank you Steve!! This one came out really well. Didn't do a lot of offerings so had time to focus on the ones I did do.

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
Once again one of your posts has left me speechless with my mouth hanging open.
With all that wonderful food I don't know how anyone had room for dessert!

Wow...that's one heck of a compliment. Thank you. We did take a poolside lull after dinner before indulging in dessert but after the effort Jodi put forth it would have been disrespectful not to eat some...and it was all good!!

Alright Robert, that's it . You have to stay out of the pool. This is a killer meal.
And we can barely catch our breath from your last pool idea cook and than
you bring on this beautiful meal

Well done sir well done

Good thing we are not allowed across the boarder yet, or I would have my ticket and be knocking on your door for one of your meals,

Uh oh...looks like you have me figured out David. It's the magical margaritas that inspire me. I get them from the same place Jack got his beanstalk beans :emoji_laughing: You nailed it though. This one too was dreamed up in the pool. The last one I posted was one of the 15 minute quick weeknight dinners. This one took a bit of time.

As far as coming down, that's easy. we haven't built a wall up north. Just slide down Niagara Falls and I'll meet you at the bottom with a towel and a cold beer :emoji_wink: I do appreciate the kind words sir and thank you for that.

Another great meal courtesy of CPB and your growing Talent

Thanks Jimmy but I owe you another "thank you" because you're one of the driving forces behind that "growing talent" you mention. So many people have learned so much from you.

Robert

Damn son! That is one outstanding meal. Who wouldn't be thrilled to sit down to a plate of that!

I appreciate it John. You've been invited and have not yet been able to make the trip. Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to put a meal like this together for you and your family.

Robert

Ha ha Robert, I will need maybe something a little harder than a beer if I slide down the falls, but at least now we have a plan

Fair enough. I'll bring a bottle of top shelf Texas distilled bourbon.

Thanks Robert , put a smile on my face. Now I need to see where I put my wooden barrel.

Heck, you don't need a barrel. I'll make sure to have CNN on site for this so all you'll need is to be wearing your burlap thong. That'll make news headlines for sure!! I can see the headlines now: "Mostly naked crazy Canadian takes the plunge for a steak" :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Robert you killed it as usual!! That steak is done just right and you know I love the Dirt on beef. That sauce is money too. I have got to add rotisserie to my tools!!

Thanks so much Rob. I finally got one right after lots of attempts. Since the first time I saw a prime rib showcased by Bearcarver Bearcarver with the beautiful edge to edge pink I've been aspiring to nail one. Got it this time

Robert

Perfect !!!
You did indeed Nail This One, Robert !!
I never saw a better one!!
You must have been able to keep your temp below 230° or 250° the whole time.
I love it, and your Whole spread is Just Awesome, as always!!
Nice Job, Buddy!!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky