Black stuff dripping on my food.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deadmeat

Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Appleton, WI
Hey guys/gals, I have a Master Forge gas smoker that I have used a lot. It's starting to drip black stuff on my food when cooking. I know what it is, but how do you clean it off. When it cools it's hard like tar. I am getting to the point where I want quit using it. The stuff has built up on the upside of my smoker so much, I don't know how to get it off.

Last edited:
This is condensation of moist air on the top of your smoker. It will happen from time to time especially when cooking when weather is cold. Open vents more, cook at a bit higher temp. Use insulation or something to keep your smoker cabinet a bit warmer. All you need is a few degrees temp to prevent condensing. Aluminum foil tent always works.

I wipe the insides down with hot water / rag. Then get it hot and wipe it down with vegetable oil. Maybe do this once / twice a year.

RG

All good suggestions. Also know that when propane burns, if gives off quite a bit of moisture which adds to the humidity of the cooking chamber. Therefore I don't use water pans anymore, which is something you might want to try. There are many opeinions on this, but I had the same problem, dropped watter pan, and haven't gone back. Also, like SB59 says, keep the vents open for max airflow

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky