Bison, Elk and Salsa on the pit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
After viewing Justin Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ Elk medallions I went strait to the freezer and pulled out a Bison Ribeye and a pair of Elk Medallions.

I was going to eat good tonight. It was also time to make some more salsa so I thought I would knock that out as well.

I started up the pit with coastal red oak and mesquite.
2023_01_29_pit_001.jpg

I was able to fit it all on one side of the pit.
2023_01_29_pit_002.jpg

Ready to go.
2023_01_29_pit_003.jpg

The money shot.
2023_01_29_pit_004.jpg

Enough salsa to last a while. I used Kinder - The Blend on the meat and in the salsa.
2023_01_29_pit_005.jpg

Beautiful food and beautiful setup. Love it. I roast my peppers and all as well before making salsa. It’s the only way to go.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
That my friend is a BEAUTIFUL THING!!!! I LOVE and I mean LOVE open fire cooking! I'm missing it in a huge way, not having the X-Fire operable and its also -14 degrees at the moment.......

Sorry for the VERY late reply… but that is one top notch cook! Very well done!
No problem. Actually thank you since this post had vanished to me after I posted it.

I did get in the Elk I ordered from Northforkbison and just finished cooking up a pair of medallions. Simply sprinkled with Kinder's The Blend and cooked on the pit.

2023_06_05_elk.jpg

No problem. Actually thank you since this post had vanished to me after I posted it.

I did get in the Elk I ordered from Northforkbison and just finished cooking up a pair of medallions. Simply sprinkled with Kinder's The Blend and cooked on the pit.

View attachment 667246

That is perfectly cooked… just awesome! And we are big fans of the Kinder’s Blend!

Awesome! Everything looks great! I would love to have to buy more freezers because of having a bison and elk to freeze up!

Chris that is some great looking stuff buddy. Loving the elk and the bison. Also love the fact that you smoke your veggies for the salsa. I started that a few years ago and it is a game changer. Makes a world of difference in the flavor.

Robert

I posted this for the Elk and the Bison but looking back on it now I just want to make more salsa. The meat was great but I enjoyed the salsa for many more days after that cook. I have recently posted that I bought more Elk meat and I am now thinking on how I can combine the two.

I am now thinking of an Elk chili. I have Elk burger and medallions. Maybe using both the burger and finely chopping up the medallion into small squares might just make an amazing (but expensive) chili. I might just have to do that.

I will also make more salsa.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky