Birthday Grilled Pizza's w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
View attachment 429530
I used my gasser with stones for a long time, after having several ending up in more than one piece due to cooling them down to fast I went on a search for something different.
What I found was the little fella pictured above, it’s a 17” cast iron griddle. That thing is awesome!

I have since sent the gasser to the scrap yard and will be starting my quest over on the Weber kettle.

whole milk mozzarella is the only thing I use anymore, good quality pepperoni will save you a ton of grease on your pizza. Resting your dough in the fridge for a few days will make all the difference in the world View attachment 429533View attachment 429532

Thank you for the info and pictures. How does the cast iron cook compared to the stones? Does it cook more evenly as far as the crust and the top of the pizza getting done at the same time? I contemplated using my cast iron before I found the stones on sale.

You can actually use one of your stones on the bottom to put the pizzas on and the other one on top of the fire bricks to create the cooking chamber. That should work fine.

I tend to refrain from advertising companies that are not sponsors so if you would like the address I can send it to you via a Private Message or an email.

John

Hey John thanks for the info! I looked at some of the baking steele's on amazon. Ill shoot you a PM to get the company name from you. Might try out the stones one on top of the other too.

Check out the Baking steel. Works fantastic - home oven no grill needed (sacrilege I know).
alternately try doing a two zone grill on the grates for a second and flip the dough and top the grilled side. That will work better than hoping for the dome of a grill to get hot.

Thanks buffalo. I thought about the straight grates but was afraid I would have to make the dough pretty thick so it wouldn't stick or become hard to manage.

I love pizza. They look very tasty, nice work and happy birthday.

we went through a learning curve and still learning, was good fun. Wife ended up in tears once when I couldn’t get the beautiful pizzas she made off the peel, stuck like glue and we had guests. :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

Can’t remember last time we bought a pizza, I think here it is $28 for one delivered, we can make 4 homemade for about $10 .

Did them on my gasser for years, I found just running some kind of lid over the stone gives a perfect equilibrium cook, top and bottom close to same heat.

View attachment 429556

Thank you for the kind words! Camp chef sells a pizza oven very similar to this that sits on top of the grill and claims to get around 700. Looks very similar to what you pictured. Hesitant to buy it just because like you said if you run a stone or steel over the top you get the same effect. And yeah I agree by the time you order pizza, pay the delivery fee, and tip the driver you are at $25 for one pizza and its not even good pizza. Would much rather make good homemade pies!

Wow John...looks like a great birthday meal. So much color, vibrancy, and variety it's hard not to love this post!! Add to that some great info gleaned from others, I am now ready to tackle pizzas again. They have been my nemesis for years and I'd pretty much give up on them. I do think I'm going to fabricate some sort of a steel dome to put over top of the pizza stones though for more even cooking.

Armed for pizza battle with new info,
Robert

Thank you Robert appreciate the kind words my friend! I agree I think I am going to put some sort of dome over the next ones I do even if its just another pizza stone. Looking forward to doing some more experimenting!

Hey John....I have an XL BGE that I'd make you a really good deal on. Pack up the family, come on down to Texas for a vacation, and go home with a BGE. What more could you ask for?

Robert

That is a damn good deal Robert! One of these days I am going to make it down there. Around a 16 hour drive from Knoxville to Lago Vista. In the meantime you need to be cooking some pizzas on that thing! No need to fabricate anything!

Vol , pizza looks good to me . I like to mix the dough and let it sit in the fridge for 3 or 4 days .
Also I grind all my cheese myself , or use slices . The store bought shredded cheese has an anti caking additive , and don't melt as good in my opinion .
That would be a fun way to spend a birthday to me , but the non beer photo shoot has me concerned as well . Heck , you didn't even mention " cold one " or " beer " until half way thru the thread !!
Enjoy bud .

Sorry I'm late, John, but those Pizzas look Super!!
Mighty Tasty Looking!
Nice Job!
Like.
BTW: Happy Birthday Too!!

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Vol , pizza looks good to me . I like to mix the dough and let it sit in the fridge for 3 or 4 days .
Also I grind all my cheese myself , or use slices . The store bought shredded cheese has an anti caking additive , and don't melt as good in my opinion .
That would be a fun way to spend a birthday to me , but the non beer photo shoot has me concerned as well . Heck , you didn't even mention " cold one " or " beer " until half way thru the thread !!
Enjoy bud .

Thanks Chop appreciate it man! I enjoyed it...was a fun birthday. Thanks for the tip on the dough. I am def going to use better quality cheese next time. And as for the beer no worries there I had plenty of cold ones...like Chris said must be the senile starting to kick in lol

Sorry I'm late, John, but those Pizzas look Super!!
Mighty Tasty Looking!
Nice Job!
Like.
BTW: Happy Birthday Too!!

Bear

Thanks John appreciate the like and kind words! Hoping to try out some more this weekend hopefully. Have gotten some great tips from these guys to improve my pizza game.

Happy Belated Birthday John (I think I already said it in another thread, but it's worth repeating).

And boy those do look really good. Sue and I make pizzas in the oven in the house but now you got me thinking....

LIKE!

John

Happy Belated Birthday John (I think I already said it in another thread, but it's worth repeating).

And boy those do look really good. Sue and I make pizzas in the oven in the house but now you got me thinking....

LIKE!

John

Thanks John appreciate it! I was doing them in the oven forever but I knew it could be so much better outside at higher temps. Will keep working on it!

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
I too got tired of heating the oven to 550 here in sunny south florida using my pizza stone and what ever dough you make from scratch (simple bread recipes with semolina or not ….) or store bought dough like Publix, and what ever toppings...

Now I use an aluminum sheet pan on the Super hot Broil Master grill but the trick to not burning it (I had the same problem burning the bottom using the stone on the grill) is to put the grates as high up as they go and then elevate the sheet pan on two bricks at either end (long edge down) putting the pan up 3 inches and more centered in the heat of the "oven". I do rotate it once in the 12 minute cook to get more even as the back gets done quicker. No more hot kitchen on a 90 degree day.

How thick is your pizza stones?I read a few places have around 1/2 to 5/8. We have a 1/4 one at home gonna see if it cracks when I put it on the grill in the coming days.

How thick is your pizza stones?I read a few places have around 1/2 to 5/8. We have a 1/4 one at home gonna see if it cracks when I put it on the grill in the coming days.

You know I am now sure how thick it is. I can check when I get home. No problems with cracking though. Just make sure you heat the stone up with the grill.

A homemade pizza sauce I don’t. Pizza flows through the streets here so never had the desire to make my own.

If I can offer any advice, make sure you don’t use a spaghetti sauce. You want something a little bit thicker.

I’m also a fan of fresh tomatoes, marinated tomatoes and bruschetta on my pizza.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky