Big'ol Brisket Done Extreme Hot-n-Fast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
So Cmack's thread on Extreme Hot-n-Fast brisket got my interest peaked again.
Had it on my mind to try his method with a tweak or two to accommodate my smoker.

I cruised through Costco after getting back off the road yesterday, the Packers were pretty well picked over and the best I could find was on the BIG side at 22lbs.
Trimmed about 4-5lbs off it getting it ready.
Does anybody else cringe when trimming actual meat off a brisket?

Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, granulated garlic and more.
Wrapped it overnight to brine a bit.

XoqkkrM.jpg

3Sz55b8.jpg

AQhxXVO.jpg

Got the smoker running with some hickory, settled in at 275° and threw the brisket on to get some smoke for a couple hours.
Then I'm gonna kick the temp to 375°-400°, take it to about 160°-165° and double wrap in butcher paper.

z7MwEqq.jpg

Stand by for Updates.

Last edited:
That's one big ol' slab of meat. Curious how you experiment turns out, Good luck! Just picked up some ribs for tomorrow.

That's a nice slab of meat!! I'm curious about the hot and fast. Really wondering how tender it will come out, so I'll be watching.
As for cringing when trimming a brisket--absolutely NOT. Neither Miss Linda nor I eat any fat at all (except on bacon) so it does my heart good to see all that fat leaving. There's nothing I hate more than a mouthful of fat--it actually brings on the gag impulse.
Gary

Boy Chili, I'm really interested in this, cause I smoke mine at 270-280, but have never gone any higher than that.
I was always afraid it wouldn't render out properly.
But if yours does, I'm gonna try it for sure!
Al

That's a nice slab of meat!! I'm curious about the hot and fast. Really wondering how tender it will come out, so I'll be watching.
As for cringing when trimming a brisket--absolutely NOT. Neither Miss Linda nor I eat any fat at all (except on bacon) so it does my heart good to see all that fat leaving. There's nothing I hate more than a mouthful of fat--it actually brings on the gag impulse.
Gary
I'm talking more about trimming meat off.
Trimming the uneven/rough edges, the Flat end for even thickness and rounding it off to keep from burning the end.

Boy Chili, I'm really interested in this, cause I smoke mine at 270-280, but have never gone any higher than that.
I was always afraid it wouldn't render out properly.
But if yours does, I'm gonna try it for sure!
Al
Me too Al, what the heck I figured, lets do this.
if anything goes wrong I can turn the Point into burnt ends and the rest is good for further braising, e.g. chile or stew.

T-Roy on Youtube did a brisket in around 5 hours doing Hot and Fast on a kettle. Not a ton of smoke ring, but the meat looked great.

Nothing against the method but old school here, they call it low and slow for a reason. I'm looking foreword to the $90 results.

Does anybody else cringe when trimming actual meat off a brisket?

Nope. I save all the trimmings for brisket burgers. Even at $4/lb, that's not bad for some really great ground beef. And it's much better than having those thin strips of beef burn up on the smoker.

I don't throw the fat away either. I render it down to tallow and use it for frying and soap making.

I've done hot and fast at 300F on the pellet grill a few times. The meat turns out great and fat completely renders, but don't get enough smoke flavor at that temp.

Nothing against the method but old school here, they call it low and slow for a reason. I'm looking foreword to the $90 results.
I've done them plenty Low-n-Slow and done them more than a few at 275°+/-.
This is a new one for me too... Curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought it back.

Nope. I save all the trimmings for brisket burgers. Even at $4/lb, that's not bad for some really great ground beef. And it's much better than having those thin strips of beef burn up on the smoker.

I don't throw the fat away either. I render it down to tallow and use it for frying and soap making.

I've done hot and fast at 300F on the pellet grill a few times. The meat turns out great and fat completely renders, but don't get enough smoke flavor at that temp.
Having heard that time and time again from some hot-n-fast aficionados, hence my smoking for 2.5hrs at a lower temp.

2.5 hours averaging 390°, IT is now 165°, time to double wrap in butcher paper.

Lay two 3' sheets out in a V with complete overlap.
Place brisket at bottom of V, tightly roll and tuck.

Remember where thickest part of the Flat is and mark it.

Return to 375°-400° smoker till it probes tender in the thickest part of the flat.
This can be anywhere from 195°-210° IT, but commonly at 200°-207° IT.

t6ViKR8.jpg

ZwKzoUq.jpg

BSj9ix4.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky