Big'ol Brisket Done Extreme Hot-n-Fast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I start my trailer pit at 350 or so and go from there ..
Love this thread - great documentation. Thank you. I've adopted a hybrid method. Trim and rub 24 hours prior and set in frig. Load on the pit @ 220/235 degrees straight from the frig @ 3pm in the afternoon. Low and slow for the first 8-10 hours adding smoke/wood the entire time. Once it gets through the stall, or around 165-170 internal, double-wrap in butcher paper (not too tight), and crank the pit up to 325 and go to bed. I check 6 hours later when I get up and we are usually right around 200 internal and the pit is still holding 180 or so. If it needs more cook time (rarely) I just bring the pit back up to 275 for a bit. The pit essentially serves as a cambro ... and butcher paper preserves a crispier bark. I leave the brisket rest inside the pit until we are ready to slice (usually mid-afternoon), or after 24 hours and it is still warm. Pics below of last weekend ... this process gets good results and allows for some sleep. Best of all worlds if you ask me - and I get some sleep.

Attachments

• Hybrid brisket 1.jpg
    Hybrid brisket 1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Hybrid brisket whole.jpg
    Hybrid brisket whole.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: texomakid
See that's the beauty ..ask 100 pit men how to cook a brisket . 100 Different answers but arrive at some ending ...I marinade mine with buttermilk dressing in ice chest for at least 24 hours ..cook it fat side down .....

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
A little late on this thread but I’ve moved to the hot n fast method and mine keep overcooking. Do you remember what your temp was when you pulled at “probe tender”? We’re you concerned insulating it like that after it was being cooked at such high heat overcook it. I’m doing one Sat for a big game Sat night and I clearly need to pull mine off earlier than I have in the past, and maybe not rest in a cooler with towels for 3 hours either. I would just think being cooked so hot if goes directly to insulated rest it had to keep cooking quite a bit.

My thoughts are that the cooler may be what is hurting you. I rest mine wrapped in 2 layers of foil and in a tight 3 bath towels and set it on the counter and it holds for 5 hours with no issue and piping hot and ready to serve. The cooler to me seems like it might be overkill if the my wrapping does the trick with no issue.
I hope this info helps! :)

Reactions: chilerelleno
Late to this thread...I like the high-bred methodology too. I have done my last couple at 180 for 4 hours and the rest 275-300 - the wife say this is the best ever. I'm on a pellet so the 180 is the high smoke setting.

BUT - never cooked one that large!

Great cook and notes! as always - thanks Chile!

A little late on this thread but I’ve moved to the hot n fast method and mine keep overcooking. Do you remember what your temp was when you pulled at “probe tender”? We’re you concerned insulating it like that after it was being cooked at such high heat overcook it. I’m doing one Sat for a big game Sat night and I clearly need to pull mine off earlier than I have in the past, and maybe not rest in a cooler with towels for 3 hours either. I would just think being cooked so hot if goes directly to insulated rest it had to keep cooking quite a bit.
Forgive the late reply.
The IT was 205° when it probed tender.
It sat on the prep table in just the paper for maybe 30-45 minutes before I wrapped it in a towel.
I'm sure the IT was still rising a bit in that time.
I didn't check IT before slicing it an hour or so later, but it was almost too hot to handle.

Overcooking during the resting period due to IT rising is a valid concern, especially at high cooking temps.
Some cooks let their meat's IT fall before wrapping to rest.
Some just rest in the paper, foil or in the raw on the counter for an hour, no problem with it staying well within safe food handling temps.

To avoid overcooking I start probing at 195° and check about every 2° or so.

Last edited:
Late to this thread...I like the high-bred methodology too. I have done my last couple at 180 for 4 hours and the rest 275-300 - the wife say this is the best ever. I'm on a pellet so the 180 is the high smoke setting.

BUT - never cooked one that large!

Great cook and notes! as always - thanks Chile!
Thank you, greatly appreciated.
Your method sounds like a winner to me.
Bigger handles the Extreme Hot-n-Fast better.
12-15lbs is pretty much ideal for regular Hot-n-Fast cooks.
Definitely don't want smaller.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandyut
My thoughts are that the cooler may be what is hurting you. I rest mine wrapped in 2 layers of foil and in a tight 3 bath towels and set it on the counter and it holds for 5 hours with no issue and piping hot and ready to serve. The cooler to me seems like it might be overkill if the my wrapping does the trick with no issue.
I hope this info helps! :)
Spot on.

Reactions: tallbm
I am quite lucky - brisket is my wife fav thing for me to smoke. so I know if I want one all i have to do is ask "what should i smoke this weekend?" she will say "so long as a brisket is coming off at some point you can do anything you want".

her only eating "thing" is she doesn't like "bloody beef". it kills me cuz I love a good bloody steak, tri tip, etc. but the brisket makes up for it most of the time :)

Dude, I have family that won't eat any meat unless it's well done.
I'll go to Costco to buy steaks, I'll buy prime Rib-Eyes or New York's for myself and others.
But for them I buy a Select cut of sirloin.
I refuse to ruin good Prime beef that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
OMG! Ok, feels better knowing I am not alone. The wife was a well done person when we met. 16 years later she will eat it "pink but no blood". which is a challenge for sure, but not well done at least.

I like your plan - if its gonna get nuked - downgrading is the way!

I will never understand why someone would want a well done steak tho...mystery of life.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky