Big horn smoker auger motor help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

artstudio661

Original poster
Aug 7, 2020
I was recently given a big horn pellet smoker by a neighbor and they said it Didn’t work so I took it apart and realized that the fuse was blown on the control board so I switched that and then somehow the wires from the auger motor got wrapped around the shaft so I rewired the auger motor but using the old clip from the original and now when I plug it in the auger motor automatically starts turning without actually turning the dial on. I don’t know how to fix it. I’ve tried customer service with Big Horn and they were no help so if there’s anybody out there they can help me I would much appreciate it

• Wow
Reactions: JC in GB
Sure you wired it exactly the way it was? Sounds like it's wired direct to the inlet power.

Ok so posted a pic. The red wires are the ones I changed. Just from the last piece of tape. Only because it was cut in half so I had to. And the original wires were both red exactly the same so I’m not sure if there’s a negative and positive.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 113
And I don’t think I fried the control board cause everything else works just fine.

It's an AC motor (note the transformer and iron plates) so there's no plus and minus--the 2 red wires can be interchanged. And nothing's changed in the 2 wires you hooked to? (They appear pink and brown in the pic?) If not, yet the auger runs continuously, something is confused in the control system. Is there a reset button? Have you tried unplugging the unit for a good 30 seconds?

No reset button. I also checked the control board to make sure none of the components were soldered together from overheating. Like you said bill, it’s like the auger motor has a direct line of power and bypassing the control board.

When you changed the fuse, did you stay with the same value? If you went higher, that might have damaged something in the control circuitry that the factory value was protecting against.
Also, augers take a bit of power, especially on startup. There could be a solid state, or even an electromagnetic, relay switch that uses the low-power output from the control electronics to switch on and off a more robust switch for the powerful auger. Such relays can often freeze up in the "on" position and give symptoms like you describe. Can you get to the circuit board? The auger relay would be the last component before the pink and brown wires I alluded to. (You could post a pic if you want a dozen opinions.)

If this level of trouble-shooting is not your cup of tea, you may need a new controller. Something basic is low $30's from China (6-weeks ARO); or the same thing Amazon Prime is low $40's. And this forum is full of folks who will recommend whiz-bang controllers for a bit more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky