Big Cooker Showdown: Rec Tec vs BGE Doing Massive Dino Ribs(Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As stated, the first one was seal the lid. There was massive smoke loss coming from the cook chamber that needed to be stopped. The other is that the temperature controller was WAY off. Set point at 235, actual temp showing on the controller was 235, and the real temperature per my Maverick 732 was 213. The differentials were pretty constant from 20 to 25 degrees lower than what the controller indicated. This put the ribs far behind schedule and I had to run the temp to 400 in order for them to get finished in time for dinner.

Robert

Hell Yeah!! Those are some amazing looking ribs! Very nice! I could only imagine how tasty they were

How did your beef rub come out?

Like!

As stated, the first one was seal the lid. There was massive smoke loss coming from the cook chamber that needed to be stopped. The other is that the temperature controller was WAY off. Set point at 235, actual temp showing on the controller was 235, and the real temperature per my Maverick 732 was 213. The differentials were pretty constant from 20 to 25 degrees lower than what the controller indicated. This put the ribs far behind schedule and I had to run the temp to 400 in order for them to get finished in time for dinner.

Robert

Good luck, but I already have an idea of what they are going to tell you.

1. The lid is not intended to be smoke tight, or airtight. Two pieces of metal against one another will not form a smoke tight seal. There will be smoke leakage along the length of the seam.

If it's not water tight, or air tight, then it won't be smoke tight. Smoke is going to escape from where the lid meets the rest of the cooking chamber. At least two people I've seen in here and elsewhere have already been told by Rec Tec that some leakage is "designed in".

https://www.rectecforum.com/threads/should-i-seal-my-rec-tec-grill-answered.16/

I didn't believe it either, and placed gasket material around my lid. Which I now wish that I hadn't, as it doesn't last.

But talk to anyone with a WSM, and they'll tell you that they leak smoke from around their lids.

Indeed, one of the few things which won't leak lid smoke, is a Kamado. And a lot of that has to do with the heft of the lid and the felt gaskets.

Your BGE and my Kamado Joe don’t leak smoke from around their lids. But then they are Kamados with heavy ceramic lids and felt gaskets on the top and bottom halves of the cookers.

2. You mention that your Maverick was reading 213 when the indicated temperature was reading 235.

A few questions.

What was your Maverick 732 calibrated against and up to what temperatures?

That’s about a $60.00 piece of equipment. How much can it be trusted? Or better yet, what assurances does one have that it’s accurate and the grill’s reported temperature isn’t?

If it was calibrated against boiling water and ice baths, well, boiling water and ice baths may not do it. How accurate is it at the ranges at which it was being compared against the second thermometer, namely the grill's thermometer.

Before you read this post further, google "Maverick accuracy issues", and read up on what you find.

Where was the temperature probe of the Maverick placed and the Maverick's reported temperature taken? Center of the grill? How about the right or the left of the grill? Was there any food on the grill when it was being taken?

Here is an image of my Stampede using one probe from my Thermaworks Smoke, and two probes from my Weber iGrill. In other words, taking the temperartures at 3 different spots on the grill at the same time and comparing them against the grill's reported temperature.

IMG_5133.JPG

IMG_2255.PNG

I divided the grill into 3 zones. In other words divided the cooking surface into 3rds, and set the temp probes in the middle of those 3 zones.

The grill is set for 250°F. It is reading 250°F

The Thermapro probe is in the first zone. It's reading 251°F. The iGrill probes are at the 2nd and 3rd zones. They read 247°F at the same time that the one in the middle of 3rd zone is reading 269°F.

But as you can see, they don't all read the same. And the hot spot on my grill seems to be at the middle right zone. There is a discrepancy of 19° vs what the grill is reporting.

But a few things deserve consideration. First it's not a given that any two thermometers are going to read the same at any given point in time and in the same temperature ranges. Especially two made by different manufacturers. My Thermoworks Smoke is accurate to within plus or minus 1.8°F at temps from -4 and up until temps of 248°. Above 248°F and up to 392°F, it's not as accurate. It's 3.6°F give or take at those temps and in between. And at least 5.4% give or take above 392°.

The accuracy of my iGrill is different from that, and the accuracy of my BBQ Guru CyberQ temperature probes are different still.

Secondly, the area where the temperature is being taken comes into play, as well as if the probe taking the temperature itself is resting on metal. I usually use cork to rest my temperature probes either on or through. Not the metal clamps which are designed to flip into the grill grates that come with most aftermarket thermometers.

How high off of the grates was the temperature probe of the Maverick placed?

Finally, if you just want the temperature of your Bull to read more in line with your Maverick, well then it is a simple matter to do that.

However that said, even if you do manage to "match" the two by following the recommended procedures outlined by Rec Tec in setting your temperature offset, well then I can tell you from a good bit of experience, that the temperature that your grill is reporting and the temperature that your aftermarket thermometer is reporting, likely will not 100% match throughout any great length of time.

Someone described that, attempting to get these grills to match in all zones across the grates, in all conditions, to a reported reading of an aftermarket thermometer, as a rabbit hole. I can tell you that it most certainly is just that.

Last edited:
How did your beef rub come out?

It was really, really good. There was a nice, rich, deep beef richness that it added to the ribs.This may well become my go-to rub for all things beef.

Robert

Phenomenal looking cook! and if people didn't know there was a "cold" front that hit CenTex...

tx smoker tx smoker has a shirt on! that may be the biggest takeaway from this thread!

and that's saying something cause those ribs are b-e-a-utiful! One of these days I'll have a life again and be able to attend more of this shindigs. Well done again!

Someone described that, attempting to get these grills to match in all zones across the grates, in all conditions, to a reported reading of an aftermarket thermometer, as a rabbit hole. I can tell you that it most certainly is just that.

Thank you for taking the time to share all of this. I'm pretty well versed in how cookers and thermometers work and am not expecting the grill to match all temperatures in all zones and be exact with the factory thermometer. I will tell you however based on a lot of cooking experience that those ribs took WAY longer to cook than they should have That tells me that the temps were not what the thermometer said they were, not even close. Gerald got his RT 700 a couple days before I got mine. He too has a vast amount of cooking experience and drew the same conclusions that I did. Last night he did a temp test on his grill and got the same results. He then emailed Rec Tec this morning and here is the response he got from them:

"You are not bothering me. The good news is what you and Robert are experiencing is completely normal. We expect your probe to be at least 10% lower than your grill temperature reading. It is also going to be very different if you move your probe to the front or back of the grill as well. This is because the grill uses an RTD to determine the air temperature at which the food is cooking at and you are using a thermocouple which is great when reading meat temperature internally but it doesn’t read ambient grill temperature very well. Its going to pick up a lot of the radiant metal temperature which brings the temperature reading down. The best way to tell if your grills RTD is off is checking the grill temperature with the ambient temperature outside right when you turn it on. It will be very close to the outside temperature unless its sitting in the sun. Remember, pellet grills are very different from gas grills or charcoal grills and have 2 pieces of metal between the meat and the heat. They cook with convection current and not direct heat. Please feel free to call and speak with anyone here with any other concerns. 706-922-0890"

This at least clarifies a few things and now I know I just need to make adjustments and trust in my Mavericks, which I know are spot on. I check them as well as my instant read thermometer every couple weeks. At the first sign of them not being accurate, I throw them away and buy new ones.

On a different and more positive note, I did a couple pork chops last night and applied what I'd learned on Saturday. The chops were excellent and cooked in the anticipated amount of time. They were smoked on very low heat for 30 minutes then ran the temp up to 450* to finish.

Marinating in a dressing posted by xray xray for his 4-bean salad
344.jpg

Onto the grill
345.jpg

Done and ready to take off the grill. They are beautiful!!
346.jpg

These were fantastic. The only chops I've ever had that were as good as these were done on the Santa Maria over mesquite. Even Tracy loved them. A nice, light hint of smoke that was noticed but did not over power the meat and perfect tenderness.

As with all new cookers, there is a learning curve. This one was just a bit bigger than I was expecting :emoji_anguished:

Really am happy with the grill,
Robert

Thank you for taking the time to share all of this. I'm pretty well versed in how cookers and thermometers work and am not expecting the grill to match all temperatures in all zones and be exact with the factory thermometer. I will tell you however based on a lot of cooking experience that those ribs took WAY longer to cook than they should have That tells me that the temps were not what the thermometer said they were, not even close. Gerald got his RT 700 a couple days before I got mine. He too has a vast amount of cooking experience and drew the same conclusions that I did. Last night he did a temp test on his grill and got the same results. He then emailed Rec Tec this morning and here is the response he got from them:

"You are not bothering me. The good news is what you and Robert are experiencing is completely normal. We expect your probe to be at least 10% lower than your grill temperature reading. It is also going to be very different if you move your probe to the front or back of the grill as well. This is because the grill uses an RTD to determine the air temperature at which the food is cooking at and you are using a thermocouple which is great when reading meat temperature internally but it doesn’t read ambient grill temperature very well. Its going to pick up a lot of the radiant metal temperature which brings the temperature reading down. The best way to tell if your grills RTD is off is checking the grill temperature with the ambient temperature outside right when you turn it on. It will be very close to the outside temperature unless its sitting in the sun. Remember, pellet grills are very different from gas grills or charcoal grills and have 2 pieces of metal between the meat and the heat. They cook with convection current and not direct heat. Please feel free to call and speak with anyone here with any other concerns. 706-922-0890"

This at least clarifies a few things and now I know I just need to make adjustments and trust in my Mavericks, which I know are spot on. I check them as well as my instant read thermometer every couple weeks. At the first sign of them not being accurate, I throw them away and buy new ones.

On a different and more positive note, I did a couple pork chops last night and applied what I'd learned on Saturday. The chops were excellent and cooked in the anticipated amount of time. They were smoked on very low heat for 30 minutes then ran the temp up to 450* to finish.

Marinating in a dressing posted by xray xray for his 4-bean salad
View attachment 408455

Onto the grill
View attachment 408456

Done and ready to take off the grill. They are beautiful!!
View attachment 408457

These were fantastic. The only chops I've ever had that were as good as these were done on the Santa Maria over mesquite. Even Tracy loved them. A nice, light hint of smoke that was noticed but did not over power the meat and perfect tenderness.

As with all new cookers, there is a learning curve. This one was just a bit bigger than I was expecting :emoji_anguished:

Really am happy with the grill,
Robert

Great news Robert, and always good to know that a fellow Rec Tec owner is happy with his or her results.

Glad to also see that they gave you an answer regarding the temps that you are comfortable with.

The food looks great and I sure that it tasted as good as it looks.

Armed with the following knowledge;

....The best way to tell if your grills RTD is off is checking the grill temperature with the ambient temperature outside right when you turn it on. It will be very close to the outside temperature unless its sitting in the sun....

and having the trust that you have in your Maverick 732, it seems that you should only need know what your Maverick is reading as the ambient temperature, vs what temp your Bull starts at when you turn it on in order to know if your grill's temps are on or off.

If I get the time, I'll try something similar. My Thermapens are spot on with my Thermapro and about 1 degree off of my iGrill.

Last edited:
Reactions: snakehead
Geez just an AMAZING spread of food!! Big likes here!! Throughly enjoyed reading through it all as you documented the cook. If I ever do add a large pellet grill to my collection this would be my choice. I’ll be watching your delicious cooks for sure.

@sloewmotionque - rectec forum! oh no...now i am gonna get lost in blogs for a while ;) thanks for that! i pondered the smoke "leakage" but the product coming out was so good i decided to let it ride. glad I did.

Nice Robert, I see you got the searing grates....:emoji_wink:

Yes sir. They were part of the package I chose. Also got 200# of pellets, the front folding shelf, the premium cover, and the large interior shelf. A lot of junk but I love it!! :emoji_laughing:

Set in pellets for a while,
Robert

Geez just an AMAZING spread of food!! Big likes here!! Throughly enjoyed reading through it all as you documented the cook.

Thank you very much. Truly appreciate the commentary and the LIKE.

If I ever do add a large pellet grill to my collection this would be my choice.

The jury is still out for me but I'm starting to come to a verdict of "great". Got some questions answered by Rec Tec and dialing it in.

I’ll be watching your delicious cooks for sure.

Oh, rest assured, they are coming. Probably gonna do some NY Strips tonight.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
Phenomenal looking cook! and if people didn't know there was a "cold" front that hit CenTex...

tx smoker tx smoker has a shirt on! that may be the biggest takeaway from this thread!

That's a fact Zach!! I hadn't thought about it but that's the first time you've ever seen me with a shirt on :emoji_laughing: Now to another first for you: if you look real close at the pics, you'll see that I'm also wearing shoes. Sorry folks but I've always felt that clothes and shoes are very highly over rated.

and that's saying something cause those ribs are b-e-a-utiful! One of these days I'll have a life again and be able to attend more of this shindigs. Well done again!

We are looking as much forward to you having a life again as you are :emoji_wink: It's always a great time when we get together...but let's not forget about those Deviled Eggs. That is one I'll never forget and can only hope to enjoy more of them soon. There are still ribs in the freezer. I'll trade you and Kay a rib dinner for for some of her amazing eggs.

Trying to cop a deal,
Robert

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky