BIG Beef Roast W/ Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

captsly

StickBurners
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Santa Fe Texas
Never have done a Sirloin Tip Roast before, so here goes.  13.4 lbs roast. Plan on injecting with some beef broth, rubbing down with Jeff's rub, overnight in the fridge, on to fairly new MES 40 with the new amazin smoker filled with Hickory dust for as long as it takes at 230 to get to a IT of 135-140 then foil, towel, and into the cooler before slicing for dinner!! Oh yeah, I get to try my new Maverick digital today also.... Well lets start from the beginning:

791b6de9_CIMG1175.jpg

I call it the basketball!!

93b5a03a_CIMG1177.jpg

Rubbed down with Jeff's rub 

b3e364a3_CIMG1178.jpg

Wrapped and ready for a rest in the fridge overnight

c3002228_CIMG1180.jpg

Well it went in the smoker at 0800. This pic was taken at around noon. IT of 119 while giving a spritz of apple juice and rum.

5a6c7c93_CIMG1187.jpg

It is almost 1330 and IT is at 130. Might be done a little sooner than I expected. Anyone see a problem with it being wrapped and in the cooler for 2-3 hours??  I dont see where it would hurt it, but anyone with more experience with these things please chime in

Thats it for now, until it comes off to be wrapped and coolered. More Qview to come

Thanks for looking....

Jeff

It should be fine in the cooler for that amount of time. After dinner I suggest putting it into the fridge to get real cold before slicing the rest. Thin slices sure make for some great sandwiches

Ok coming along nicely. A little quicker than I thought, only a little over 6 1/2 hours to get to 140. I guess a little time in the cooler won't hurt. Pulled at  140 and double wrapped, toweled and coolered...

Didn't get much color or bark. Squirted with a little Apple juice and rum before wrapping.

21262dab_CIMG1188.jpg

It looks good honestly because the time is so short on them I usually just coat with EVOO and use salt, pepper, and garlic on them. There just not on long enough to form a real bark but they sure do taste good

cool.gif

Yes it is a monster for sure. Now I have smoked a couple of sirloin tips roast and they don't take long eiher. Now I would like Jerry (pineywoods) said and leave it in the refrig overnight and for easier slicing. Let me tell you that you are about to have some of the best lunch/sandwich meat that you will ever put into your mouth. We haven't bought lunchmeat in about 1 1/2 years now. The next thing you need to buy and that's is a Food Saver system. You will need one for your leftovers. I also smoke some big hunks of meat like a bone-in-pork loin and slice it into single meal pouches for later enjopyment.

Yes I have a vacuum sealer and will definitely be freezing some and enjoying it for sandwiches. I saved the drippings and will de-fat (what little is there) if any is needed!!

I probed it at 1300 because I didn't want to take a chance of introducing any bad things into the meat.

Man this thing came out AWESOME!! Thats all I can say.  It was juicy, tender, and pulled at 140 and in the cooler for 3 hours and it was a perfect medium....

Got a pic of it sliced, but not plated...sorry

Will definitely do this again.

2ad98fa3_CIMG1190.jpg

Ohh, that looks like some good roast right there.  When I did mine I think I enjoyed it more the second day when sliced for sandwiches.

Yes I do plan on enjoying it again tomorrow, and probably the next day. I really need to get it sliced and get some in the freezer before the family eats it all!!

That's nice Right There!!! Never tried the Tip Roast, But it just got moved up on the List! Thank's for the Encouragement to lite a Fire..
points.gif

Man this thing came out AWESOME!! Thats all I can say.  It was juicy, tender, and pulled at 140 and in the cooler for 3 hours and it was a perfect medium....

Got a pic of it sliced, but not plated...sorry

Will definitely do this again.

2ad98fa3_CIMG1190.jpg
Awesome----Just freakin' Awesome !

Thanks for showing,

Bear

Thanks Bear. this was almost like eating prime rib!! I don't know why I haven't tried this before today. Even the wife says this is on the regular menu!!  Going to borrow a friends slicer tomorrow to get it nice and thin for some sandwiches.

Jeff

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky